Duplicated Entries on Grub Screen (SOLVED)

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Fornhamfred

Duplicated Entries on Grub Screen (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Fornhamfred »

I have three distros on the machine with the mx18 controlling the grub. However Mx18 is only listed once but Pclinux has duplicated entries . I have tried the latest version of Grub customizer which although on screen shows that the entries are removed at restart they are all still listed. I think I have had this problem previously but cannot find the tread.
Last edited by Fornhamfred on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Duplicated Entries on Grub Screen

#2 Post by fehlix »

Fornhamfred wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:54 am I have three distros on the machine with the mx18 controlling the grub. However Mx18 is only listed once but Pclinux has duplicated entries . I have tried the latest version of Grub customizer which although on screen shows that the entries are removed at restart they are all still listed. I think I have had this problem previously but cannot find the tread.
You need to disable os_prober within each other install, with either setting this with /etc/default/grub

Code: Select all

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
or
unset the execution bit of /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
e.g. by

sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
As grub customizer changes a lot of those internal grub-script with /etc/grub.d/,
you might need to disable other os-prober scripts as well.
After having done this do run

sudo update-grub
when booted into the other installs.

Now boot into MX18 (which has the "controling" GRUB-menu) and also run

sudo update-grub
As mentioned grub-customizer changes a lot, I'd rather prefer to stay away from grub customizer, as it tends to break grub one day sooner ar later.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

I read the thread title and immediately thought, "must be grub-customiser at fault" before I even opened the thread.

GC tends to cause problems the longer you use it.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Fornhamfred

#4 Post by Fornhamfred »

fehlix wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:28 am
Fornhamfred wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:54 am I have three distros on the machine with the mx18 controlling the grub. However Mx18 is only listed once but Pclinux has duplicated entries . I have tried the latest version of Grub customizer which although on screen shows that the entries are removed at restart they are all still listed. I think I have had this problem previously but cannot find the tread.
You need to disable os_prober within each other install, with either setting this with /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
or
unset the execution bit of /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
e.g. by

sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
As grub customizer changes a lot of those internal grub-script with /etc/grub.d/,
you might need to disable other os-prober scripts as well.
After having done this do run

sudo update-grub
when booted into the other installs.

Now boot into MX18 (which has the "controling" GRUB-menu) and also run

sudo update-grub
As mentioned grub-customizer changes a lot, I'd rather prefer to stay away from grub customizer, as it tends to break grub one day sooner ar later.
:puppy:
Thanks for your help. Needed to do both entries before the duplicates were removed in PcLinux.
What alternatives have we got to grub customizer?

davemx

Re: Duplicated Entries on Grub Screen (SOLVED)

#5 Post by davemx »

There's an easy solution to this: Give control of GRUB to PCLinuxOS. Grub customizer works perfectly in PCLinuxOS. I find that in MX-Linux it always reports an error when you try to save the changes, and nothing gets changed.

It's a shame, because the utilities in MX-Linux, plus a bit of hacking, allow you to create a menu to your own tastes, but won't allow you to be selective about the menus.
Desktop: Mini-Box M350 with Asus H110i-plus motherboard, Pentium G4600 processor, 2TB SSD and 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133
Printer/Scanner: Brother MFC-J5335W
Laptop: Lenovo V15 ADA
Media Centre: Lenovo Q190

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”