Reduce locales so update speeds up!

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
JohnML

Reduce locales so update speeds up!

#1 Post by JohnML »

apt dist-upgrade takes a long time to compile endless, for me useless, Locales like Brazilian Portuguese ...

Yes i think i can do it my own by dpkg-reconfigure locale, but if its reduced otb that would be useful for anybody?!

Do you have a wishlist?

Thanks for MX Linux

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Reduce locales so update speeds up!

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

As su enter:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure locales
uncheck all that you don't want and choose a default.

You only have to do this once on the install and that's that. Upgrades and stuff don't go through endless locales then. Mine just went with only the English and Dutch language locales getting upgraded.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

JohnML wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 am apt dist-upgrade takes a long time to compile endless, for me useless, Locales like Brazilian Portuguese ...

Yes i think i can do it my own by dpkg-reconfigure locale, but if its reduced otb that would be useful for anybody?!

Do you have a wishlist?

Thanks for MX Linux
How would you feel if we removed your locale since it is useless for ...?

As you posted and Eadwine added, it takes 2 seconds to reconfigure.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Do you have a wishlist?
This particular one won't go far, but in general users can request "enhancements" in the Bugs software:

http://bugs.mxlinux.org
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

skidoo

#5 Post by skidoo »

Please don't report it as a bug, or a feature request.

If you forum search
query: localepurge
author: skidoo
you will find that we (me, and others) have discussed locales management in great depth.
Sometimes the topic focus has been toward "reducing bloat", at other times it has been toward "optimization" ~~ the retrieval of extraneous translations files during each apt update operation can incur significant delay, as well as the (re)building of locales-related files following each package install/upgrade operation.

Content from the pre-existing discusssions could be distilled into a wiki page.
How to title the page? It is a subject which coult "fit" under multiple descriptions:
"customizations / tweaks to consider after installing"
"customizations / tweaks to consider before performing [ live-remaster | snapshot | backup | install ] "

JohnML

#6 Post by JohnML »

Ok, i will not report it as a Bug, because its No bug!

Just as an Idea: Reduce the locales to these few the installer offers in first(?) screen ?!

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

What about an one liner to comment all the locales that are not the default ones?
Back up /etc/locale.gen because I am not sure it works for any LANG settings (it worked for me for en_US.UTF-8 but if it doesn't find your LANG in the file it will comment out all the locales) -- first line makes a copy of your locale.gen

sudo cp -i /etc/locale.gen /etc/locale.bak
sudo sed -i "/^$LANG\|^#/! s/.*/# /" /etc/locale.gen

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

Adrian wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm What about an one liner to comment all the locales that are not the default ones?
Back up /etc/locale.gen because I am not sure it works for any LANG settings (it worked for me for en_US.UTF-8 but if it doesn't find your LANG in the file it will comment out all the locales) -- first line makes a copy of your locale.gen

Any thought this could be added to what MX System Locales has? I realize it would require an actual GUI with 2 lines and buttons or something like that. Would be very handy.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

#9 Post by Adrian »

It works for people who use one locale, it won't work for people who use multiple locales, those will still need to select/deselect locales manually (unless somebody comes up with a smarter script)

fehlix
Developer

#10 Post by fehlix »

Jerry3904 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:47 pm
Adrian wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm What about an one liner to comment all the locales that are not the default ones?

Any thought this could be added to what MX System Locales has? I realize it would require an actual GUI with 2 lines and buttons or something like that. Would be very handy.
Yes. Not the one liner above, but something similar. ...will prototyping after boot-rescue has finished (soon - i hope;)
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”