MX 18 Does not shutdown/reboot

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
anouar

MX 18 Does not shutdown/reboot

#1 Post by anouar »

Hello guys,
I have just installed for the first time MX 18 on my PC DELL G3. But I have the problem that the system does not shutdown or reboot.
When I click reboot the system just hung there. The xfce bar disappear and I can only see the wallpaper and the widget of 6% cpu usage.
I installed the latest version two days ago and my system is uptodate. I tried adding poweroff option in the HAL file but that did not solve the problem.
Thank you for your help in advance.

oops

Re: MX 18 Does not shutdown/reboot

#2 Post by oops »

Hello & welcome,
Try into a terminal:

Code: Select all

/bin/systemctl reboot
#or
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 "org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.Reboot" boolean:true

#or
/bin/systemctl poweroff
#or
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 "org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.PowerOff" boolean:true
Last edited by oops on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

What is the HAL file? MX hasn't used hal (hardware abstraction layer) for some years now--since MX 15.

Please give us the results of Quick System Information in the menu, too, in code tags (highlight text and click the </> button)

anouar

#4 Post by anouar »

1/ I tried systemctl poweroff and reboot doesn't work either. same problem

2/ I have found in an old post that I should add a line "INIT_HALT = POWEROFF" in : /etc/default/halt
But that did not work

oops

#5 Post by oops »

I have just installed for the first time MX 18 on my PC DELL G3. But I have the problem that the system does not shutdown or reboot.
... You should retry first with the liveCd/liveUsb if it's the case too.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

isn't systemctl a systemd command?

If you aren't using systemd as init, would that command even be applicable at all?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

KoO

#7 Post by KoO »

systemctl is a systemd command won,t work with antiX or MX unless you go with systemd install.
I tried to use systemctl with i3 as you can code a shutdown reboot etc command with it no worky Good I Say. Then I worked out their was already in the system a little gem called desktop-session-exit antiX awesomeness lives on. :happy:

So terminal command sudo halt or sudo reboot not working as well. ?
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

BitJam
Developer

#8 Post by BitJam »

KoO wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:03 am So terminal command sudo halt or sudo reboot not working as well?
I routinely use "sudo poweroff" and "sudo reboot".

Also, I remember having a problem with shutting down and rebooting a number of years ago on an Acer ES1-511. I doubt this is the same problem but it might be a similar hardware-related problem: Re: Intel DG965OT Power Off Failure
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

anouar

#9 Post by anouar »

1/ with liveUSB when I installed mxlinux the system was able to shutdown after install
2/ maybe systemctl is systemd command.. but it works here also I also tried init 0 and the same problem happens
I tried selecting the second option in advanced grub menu on boot the option with systemd. and I was unable to poweroff my pc once again.

3/ the Quick System Information does not work for me. I tried opening it from xfce menu and the terminal never shows anything
I tried it with sudo quick-system-info-mx nothing also empty terminal.
the nvidia driver installer have the same problem.( in this case it just shows me the date and then nothing)

Richard

#10 Post by Richard »

I suspect you have seriously damaged your installation.
Suggest that you make a backup of data you wish to keep and reinstall.

MX is designed to use SysVinit by default; running systemd puts you into experimental territory.

My MX-18_amd64 install starts fast and shuts down even faster.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”