.config-folder

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
dphn

.config-folder

#1 Post by dphn »

Hi mx-team,

when I look in ~/.config folder I've found some pre-configured things but the apps for this are not part of the default installation. For example, I don't know for what is the .config/libfm folder on MX, no entry here. There are a few more of such things. I like it, when a fresh install looks clean. Take a look at recent files in Whiskermenu. I remember on MX 17 there are entries, a new clean system has no entries there at starting up first time.

Btw. All this is not necessary, only a suggestion. It's the first impression and the first look that makes me thinking, a really good work. All what is needed for the configuration, but not more. No dot-files/folders from previous releases or software that are not included in original iso-image.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

gimcrack

Re: .config-folder

#2 Post by gimcrack »

There is something in my .config/libfm folder a file call libfm.config and it obtain this;

[config]
single_click=1
use_trash=1
confirm_del=1
show_internal_volumes=0
terminal=xfce4-terminal %s
archiver=file-roller
thumbnail_local=1
thumbnail_max=2048

[ui]
big_icon_size=48
small_icon_size=24
pane_icon_size=24
thumbnail_size=128
show_thumbnail=1

Every Single folder in my .config file had some contents in it. After you know what's what and it's functions. Then you can start cleaning house if you want to.

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

For any given file that you wonder "What it is? What uses this? How did it get placed onto my system..."

dpkg-query -S /path/to/the/mysterious/file

https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/dpkg ... .1.en.html
https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/dpkg/dpkg.1.en.html
^--- or, type "man dpkg" in terminal

It is possible that a given file wasn't "installed", but has been generated on-the-fly by some installed program.
On first run, many programs will generate a .config file populated with default values if no such .config already exists under your home directory.

dphn

#4 Post by dphn »

thx for reply and the info. Hmmh. Haven't got this file and I don't know why...
What package includes this configuration? Can reinstall the package when it's needed for the actually mx-config or I try the dpkg-query command. Thx in advance. :)

In some cases it is useful to give a pre-configuration for apps, when standard layout at the first start looks difficult (for example the old gimp 2.8 with the 3 windows), or you give the user a nice icon-set per default for libreoffice or better browser-settings. That's all good.

I only mean such dot-files for apps that are not installed by default.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Not sure what the issue is. They generally take up little space and are hidden by virtue of the dot prefix.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

dphn wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:47 pm when I look in ~/.config folder I've found some pre-configured things
New user account get created from /etc/skel template.
If something in there is not appropriate are (in worst case) forgotten to delete, please list those here and we will review.
I don't know the specific mentioned above, but assume those are also there in order to have a some defined defaults,
in case user installs those apps.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

timkb4cq
Developer

#7 Post by timkb4cq »

I'm pretty sure the ~/.config/libfm/libfm.conf entry is there to provide sane values for the pcmanfm file manager. It's not installed by default but pcmanfm is commonly used in antiX.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

anticapitalista
Developer

#8 Post by anticapitalista »

timkb4cq wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:22 pm ... pcmanfm is commonly used in antiX.
In the festive spirit - oh no it isn't
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”