Network Manager ongoing problem

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
chrispop99
Global Moderator

Network Manager ongoing problem

#1 Post by chrispop99 »

After setting up a wireless connection successfully, following a re-boot the connection is sometimes lost. Stopping, then starting the network gets it working for that session. This doesn't happen for everyone, and although I haven't tested it, I believe it is related to the particular wireless card installed. The problem is solved by checking 'All users may connect to this network' in the settings dialogue. Other distros, at least Mint, have that setting checked by default.

In the past, there were attempts to se that as a default, but without success. In an earlier release (MX 16?), D_O came up with a script to stop/restart the network manager after boot. This worked OK.

I do a lot of installs, for testing purposes, and have got in to the habit of setting the check mark every time. I was prompted into posting this however because a couple of users had asked on our Facebook page, and I was able to help them. It's not a great first impression, although it's not really an MX problem.

If we are unable to make the default to have the check box ticked, for future releases should we revert to having the start-up script run?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Network Manager ongoing problem

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

chrispop99 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 am After setting up a wireless connection successfully, following a re-boot the connection is sometimes lost. Stopping, then starting the network gets it working for that session. This doesn't happen for everyone, and although I haven't tested it, I believe it is related to the particular wireless card installed. The problem is solved by checking 'All users may connect to this network' in the settings dialogue. Other distros, at least Mint, have that setting checked by default.

In the past, there were attempts to se that as a default, but without success. In an earlier release (MX 16?), D_O came up with a script to stop/restart the network manager after boot. This worked OK.

I do a lot of installs, for testing purposes, and have got in to the habit of setting the check mark every time. I was prompted into posting this however because a couple of users had asked on our Facebook page, and I was able to help them. It's not a great first impression, although it's not really an MX problem.

If we are unable to make the default to have the check box ticked, for future releases should we revert to having the start-up script run?

Chris
the main issue with the script is that it doesn't work in systemd mode. on the other hand, I'm not sure the issue exists on the systemd side of things.

I have yet to find a way,short of recompiling a new package, to change that default.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Network Manager ongoing problem

#3 Post by chrispop99 »

OK, thanks D_O.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”