[solved] Custom command in the MX menu is not saved (because of the "=" character?)

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
postcd

[solved] Custom command in the MX menu is not saved (because of the "=" character?)

#1 Post by postcd »

Hello,

i open MX Menu Editor find "mpv" (video player) and adjust "Command:" field from:
mpv --player-operation-mode

to be:
mpv --player-operation-mode --sub-codepage=windows-1250

i click Save Changes. It save the command like this:
mpv --player-operation-mode --sub-codepage

It seems like it do not accept "=" is it so, can this be fixed?

My OS details are below:
Last edited by postcd on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Custom command in the MX menu is not saved (because of the "=" character?)

#2 Post by fehlix »

postcd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:11 pm It seems like it do not accept "=" is it so, can this be fixed?
Please note, when you post a potential bug, please also post involved version of used apps,
as you might using an older version, where the bug is already fixed in a newer.
Thanks
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

postcd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:11 pm Hello,

i open MX Menu Editor find "mpv" (video player) and adjust "Command:" field from:
mpv --player-operation-mode

to be:
mpv --player-operation-mode --sub-codepage=windows-1250

i click Save Changes. It save the command like this:
mpv --player-operation-mode --sub-codepage

It seems like it do not accept "=" is it so, can this be fixed?

My OS details are below:
it might be a bug in the menu editor, don't know. we will check it out.

for now, you should be able to add the rest of the line manually. the modified mpv.desktop file should be under ~/.local/share/applications
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

postcd

#4 Post by postcd »

Thank you for the alternative way to do it. When i modified ~/.local/share/applications/mpv.desktop, the "Command:" field in MX Menu editor does not reflect the modification (tried to close and open the MX Menu editor). Yet the "Advanced editor" (the field in the MX Menu editor) reflect the modification and also works to do the modifications. So apparently issue is only in command field of the MX Menu editor.

I see MX Menu editor has "About" section where appears: MX Menu Editor Version: 18.3
My system: Host: lynx Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon March 14, 2018

By the way, i am sorry i am not on latest version o the MX, but https://mxlinux.org/download-links offered me outdated torrent apparently.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

postcd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:01 pm Thank you for the alternative way to do it. When i modified ~/.local/share/applications/mpv.desktop, the "Command:" field in MX Menu editor does not reflect the modification (tried to close and open the MX Menu editor). Yet the "Advanced editor" (the field in the MX Menu editor) reflect the modification and also works to do the modifications. So apparently issue is only in command field of the MX Menu editor.

I see MX Menu editor has "About" section where appears: MX Menu Editor Version: 18.3
My system: Host: lynx Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon March 14, 2018

By the way, i am sorry i am not on latest version o the MX, but https://mxlinux.org/download-links offered me outdated torrent apparently.
no worries, and thanks for the detailed bug report.

there shouldn't be any issue with going with the Original Release iso of 17.1. I generally use that one then do updates myself, just to make sure updates are working. and all the snapshots are just the Original Release Iso updated through the standard update mechanism, then created with the snapshot tool. Strictly speaking there shouldn't be any difference no matter the route you take to get there.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

postcd

#6 Post by postcd »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 pmall the snapshots are just the Original Release Iso updated through the standard update mechanism, then created with the snapshot tool. Strictly speaking there shouldn't be any difference no matter the route you take to get there.
Thank you for letting me know. By "update mechanism" you mean apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade?

Btw. i proceed with the apt-get upgrade (while i did "apt-get --assume-yes -V dist-upgrade" accidentally one day before it) and todays "apt-get upgrade" upgraded MX Menu editor from v. 18.3 to v. 18.10 though apparently when i try to repeat process described in first post of this topic, result seems to be same - ~/.local/share/applications/mpv.desktop is not updated.

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

I think it saves it bit it doesn't read the command, it probably splits on "=" because the .desktop file looks like:

Code: Select all

Exec=...
Terminal=...
StartupNotify=...
EDIT: OK, I have a fix that that will send the update soon to Tim.

postcd

#8 Post by postcd »

Adrian wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 pmI have a fix
The MX Updater found the update of the MX Menu Editor and after installation, i tested and issue is fixed. :wavehello:

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”