Package manager suggestion

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

Package manager suggestion

#1 Post by colin_b »

The package manager is excellent, but it strikes me that a useful feature is non-obvious and could maybe be improved.

The piece I'm talking about is the info column. When I look at its light bulb icon it has no meaning to me, and I feel it could be easily overlooked by a newbie.

Here's my suggestion. Change the text at the top of the page from "info" to "information." This opens up more space in the column below. The icon could then be made longer, thus allowing it to be something like text in a box which says info / details or something like. The link would now be obvious.

The package info which is opened by the link could be made more useful by adding a link to the bold text which points to the homepage of the package. The homepage would open in the default browser. This eliminates the need for Googling to find out full details about packages.

If you feel this is an OK idea and you need someone to dig out the URLs I'll give it my best shot.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Package manager suggestion

#2 Post by asqwerth »

colin_b wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 pm The package manager is excellent, but it strikes me that a useful feature is non-obvious and could maybe be improved.

The piece I'm talking about is the info column. When I look at its light bulb icon it has no meaning to me, and I feel it could be easily overlooked by a newbie.....
I get what you're saying about the lightbulb icon being rather non-obvious. Took me some time to even realise it was a light bulb and what it was intended to do.

Perhaps it might help to change the icon? E.g. a "small letter i within a blue circle" icon ?

These are just my own personal thoughts by the way.

I have no views on the rest of your post.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

colin_b

#3 Post by colin_b »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 am I have no views on the rest of your post.
At the end of the day all I am seeking to do is hopefully enhance MX Linux.

It is an excellent distro, and I would like to see on the top of the pile of distros because it deserves to be there.

If things are clear to newbies then this might happen, and I would be delighted.

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

Have you noticed that the light bulb icons in the Popular Apps section have been changed to the "i within a circle" icon?

Thanks, Adrian!
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

That's a great change, Adrian!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

colin_b

#6 Post by colin_b »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:19 am Have you noticed that the light bulb icons in the Popular Apps section have been changed to the "i within a circle" icon?

Thanks, Adrian!
Just out of curiosity, has this been issued as an update? My PM is still showing light bulbs.

dreamer

#7 Post by dreamer »

colin_b wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:56 pm Just out of curiosity, has this been issued as an update? My PM is still showing light bulbs.
It depends on your icon theme I guess. I think the MX tools are using QT5 which is good at adopting the GTK icon theme. QT4 wasn't very good at that. GTK3 also uses too many hard-coded icons, I'm happy MX tools use QT5. It mimics the look of GTK2 better than any other toolkit.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:56 pm
asqwerth wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:19 am Have you noticed that the light bulb icons in the Popular Apps section have been changed to the "i within a circle" icon?

Thanks, Adrian!
Just out of curiosity, has this been issued as an update? My PM is still showing light bulbs.

yes it has.

here are screenshots with the default theme, and with the obsidian theme use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Gordon Cooper

#9 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Lightbulbs here too. Both - NZ and UT repos. But no hurry.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

@Gordon Cooper,

This was done yonks ago, so if you haven't seen it by now, you must be using an icon theme that completely does not have the "i" information icon.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”