Request for Waterfox [SOLVED]

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Mauser

Re: Request for Waterfox [SOLVED]

#31 Post by Mauser »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:18 pm The long winded way is to open Firefox, go to Bookmarks/show all bookmarks/Import and Backup/Export bookmarks to HTML and save the file somewhere on your hard drive (I usually use desktop).

Then close Firefox and open Waterfox, then follow the same route except the last step which is obviously Import bookmarks from HTML and point to the file you saved on your desktop.

Takes much longer to type it than do it!
Thanks, it worked but I will stick with Firefox because I find Waterfox to be horrible. Bookmarks are awkward and hard to find, very poorly organized. Plus it adds bookmarks when I want to look at the bookmarks because the way the bookmark button is stuck with the mark button. Waterfox has the worst U.I. I ever seen on a browser.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

turtlebay777

#32 Post by turtlebay777 »

Well adjust it to your tastes, that's what Linux is all about.
Right click on the top margin and select 'bookmarks tool bar' and 'Menu Bar'. Then they're on the top and easy to find. Move the bookmarks around to your taste by clicking and dragging.
Last edited by turtlebay777 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

#33 Post by richb »

@turtlebay777
It is not necessary to use language that is insulting to another user. You could make your suggestions without such language. Edit your post removing that language.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

turtlebay777

#34 Post by turtlebay777 »

richb wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 pm Moderator

@turtlebay777
It is not necessary to use language that is insulting to another user. You could make your suggestions without such language. Edit your post removing that language.
Ok, sorry.

eltuno

#35 Post by eltuno »

Thanks for adding Waterfox to the repos

-----

However I find it weird you need to upgrade MX Installer in order to see the latest apps added to it.

It's not the way a package installer is supposed to work IMO.

eltuno

#36 Post by eltuno »

fehlix wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 pm in addition to the exported html-bookmarks, you can import the saved json-bookmarks too.
And when you start Waterfox for the first time it gives you the option of importing your Firefox profile.

That's what I've done and it works like a charm !

Stevo
Developer

#37 Post by Stevo »

eltuno wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:17 pm Thanks for adding Waterfox to the repos

-----

However I find it weird you need to upgrade MX Installer in order to see the latest apps added to it.

The package installer program did not get updated, only the list of packages/scripts that it uses---in this case, it now has a script to add the outside repo and install Waterfox from it. We did not add Waterfox to the MX repos, just like Mint does not have it in their repos. I agree that updating the pkglist would not be necessary if it was in our repos, but that's not the way we decided to handle Waterfox. If you could suggest a way to add the outside repo to MXPI without updating one of our packages, I'm sure we'd all be glad to hear it.

eltuno

#38 Post by eltuno »

Stevo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:34 pm

-----

The package installer program did not get updated, only the list of packages/scripts that it uses---in this case, it now has a script to add the outside repo and install Waterfox from it. We did not add Waterfox to the MX repos, just like Mint does not have it in their repos. I agree that updating the pkglist would not be necessary if it was in our repos, but that's not the way we decided to handle Waterfox. If you could suggest a way to add the outside repo to MXPI without updating one of our packages, I'm sure we'd all be glad to hear it.
OK I got it

All i'm saying is I had to upgrade to see the Waterfox entry added to the list in MX installer. That ain't a normal behaviour for a package manager to me, but that's no big deal

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#39 Post by dolphin_oracle »

eltuno wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:03 pm
Stevo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:34 pm

-----

OK I got it

All i'm saying is I had to upgrade to see the Waterfox entry added to the list in MX installer. That ain't a normal behaviour for a package manager to me, but that's no big deal
the Popular Apps tab of mx-packageinstaller uses a series of definition files to set up what is to happen for each entry, the actions taken vary depending the particular package. we just updated the package that provides those definitions.

the "software boutique" in ubuntu mate uses a similar idea, although the update mechanism is a little different.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Mauser

#40 Post by Mauser »

eltuno wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:29 pm
fehlix wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 pm in addition to the exported html-bookmarks, you can import the saved json-bookmarks too.
And when you start Waterfox for the first time it gives you the option of importing your Firefox profile.

That's what I've done and it works like a charm !
Mine didn't.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”