Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
colin_b

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#341 Post by colin_b »

Version: 18.3
Rating: 7
Date: 2019-08-28
Votes: 0

Mx does not handle my printer settings correctly while other distros do. Consequently, I do not use it.
Has the issue in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyB1SPGaXcw been addressed in MX 19? If not, could the solution put forward in the video be added to MX Tools?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#342 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:43 pm
Version: 18.3
Date: 2019-08-28

Mx does not handle my printer settings correctly while other distros do. Consequently, I do not use it.
Has the issue in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyB1SPGaXcw been addressed in MX 19? If not, could the solution put forward in the video be added to MX Tools?
the "issue" is that the user needed to use hp-setup, which is included on MX and always has been.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#343 Post by colin_b »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:47 pm the "issue" is that the user needed to use hp-setup, which is included on MX and always has been.
I found it in the whisker menu when I typed the full "hp-setup" in the search box, but it doesn't seem to have its own entry in the whisker menu. Could one be added so that it could be easily found by simply typing "hp"?

Stevo
Developer

#344 Post by Stevo »

zorzi wrote:
IMO, MX could more rely on Debian ressources/apps. For example, some apps (Thunderbird, VLC...) are doubly proposed whereas, in the same time, other packages like MX kernels and LibreOffice 6 have not received updates for a while.
Are you aware of the numerous backported Debian and Liquorix kernels we have in the test repos? We have the Debian 5.2.9 kernel in there right now, for example.

zorzi

#345 Post by zorzi »

Stevo wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:01 pm zorzi wrote:
IMO, MX could more rely on Debian ressources/apps. For example, some apps (Thunderbird, VLC...) are doubly proposed whereas, in the same time, other packages like MX kernels and LibreOffice 6 have not received updates for a while.
Are you aware of the numerous backported Debian and Liquorix kernels we have in the test repos? We have the Debian 5.2.9 kernel in there right now, for example.
Hello Stevo,

Sorry if my words were tactless. I need to clarify.

I just think that there are lot of "double" packages. Maybe MX could target less packages when some of them are available in Debian repos. For instance, Debian-backports could provide 4.19 kernels for MX18 and LO updates (like Neptune does, for instance).

For instance, and from what I saw, MX 19 beta mainly relies on Debian packages actually (but I'm conscious this is just the beginning).

I also have a suggestion for the future: keep three MXPI repos categories (Stable for debian packages only, MX repo for MX packages, and Debian Backports). I'm not really convinced with the "test" repo. Most of its packages do not reach MX stable repo.

What do you think about that ? (I hope I'm not talking nonsense... ;) )

SwampRabbit

#346 Post by SwampRabbit »

zorzi wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:31 pm I also have a suggestion for the future: keep three MXPI repos categories (Stable for debian packages only, MX repo for MX packages, and Debian Backports). I'm not really convinced with the "test" repo. Most of its packages do not reach MX stable repo.
I don't agree, I think MX Test Repo needs to stay. There are many packages in there that are NOT from Debian Backports, the devs create these packages specifically for us.
Many of them are tweaked and tuned specifically to work for MX.

While many of the Test Repo packages don't get moved to the Main Repo, IMO there are several reasons.
1. No one tests them enough and provides feedback
2. Some of these seem to be fast moving packages which get updated pretty often

If you look at all the packages that are not MX specific packages, both in the Main and Test Repos you'll see that many of them have "mx" in the name.
These packages aren't simply just moved from Debian or Debian Backports.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

colin_b

#347 Post by colin_b »

Version: 19-beta2.1
Date: 2019-09-13

I like the new fresh look, very very nice. I would have installed if there had been driver for RTL8821CE wireless. At this point I am using Manjajo because AUR has a driver for this wlan chip. I have alvays liked MXlinux but at this point I have to say that Manjaro feels quite nice. Maybe I would be using MX if there was a RTL8821CE driver. Yes I am a noob on all this so... I am somewhat terrified on using Arch based system but it just works and like I said, there was a driver in repos for my wlan. Sure this is no problem for advanced users.

sunrat

#348 Post by sunrat »

Sounds like he needed a wifi driver, only mentioned it four times! :p
First hit when searching for that driver name was a Github page with simple instructions how to install it with DKMS.

Stuart_MSi

#349 Post by Stuart_MSi »

Stevo wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:28 pm I wonder if any Thinkpad users here can reproduce that, or if this is more of the same FUD about errors that no one else seems to get.

We did have a 2018.2019 MSI gaming laptop user say on the Debian forums that TLP would cause random lockups on MX until it was uninstalled...

That was me!

Thanks for your help :).

So far good Distro, easy to use. But TLP would cause my MSi GE63 8RE (8750H + GTX1060) laptop to freeze when you either unplugged it/plugged it in (can't remember which), you could see in the Kernel log.

I uninstalled it and solved the problem.

Reinstalled and #'d out all the settings in TLP, I'm gradually putting it back to how it was to see which line of code is causing the freeze...

Problem now is TLP works on boot and I can see I have 4 hours battery etc. even when the CPU is set to run at full clock speed if it needs to!

But after waking from suspend, TLP doesn't work.I looked it up and typed in a few commands to start it but they have no effect.

I haven't put all the settings back to default as of yet, so that could still be the issue...

I've put a lot of the main settings back to normal though but I don't think tlp's doing anything, after waking from suspend

Powertop works but will only give me 2.30 hours. That's fine but I want to know how to 'fire up' tlp and get it to work please?

My first post here so perhaps you could give me some pointers? Many thanks

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#350 Post by JayM »

So it was YOU!!!1!!one!! :happy:

:welcome:

If this is an issue that you're seeking help with, may I humbly suggest that you start a new topic about it here? Thanks.

(Also, if you do, please run MX Tools/Quick System Info, press a key to close it, then immediately do a right-click paste in your post. (Quick System Info automatically copies its results to your clipboard, properly formatted for the forum for pasting so all you need to do is paste.) Thanks.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “General”