[bug] Network manager doesn't connect at startup some time to time

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
silvarius

[bug] Network manager doesn't connect at startup some time to time

#1 Post by silvarius »

Hello,

This bug has been present since the installation of the distribution a few weeks ago. The network manager just doesn't start when booting the computer but, what is weird, only some time to time (let's say roughly about 20% of the bootings). I can start it manually through the terminal, but that is unfortunately not an option for my wife ... who is the legitimate owner of the computer on which the distribution is installed. So I told her to just reboot the computer when it happens but, although not critical, it's not very convenient nor very good for Linux image.

Distribution is MX17 32bits installed on a 7 year old packard bell notebook.

Anyone having also experienced this bug?

Kind regards,

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: [bug] Network manager doesn't connect at startup some time to time

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I know you said network-manager doesn't start, but try this, which assumes network-manager has started but not connected.

open the connection editor off the right-click menu for network-manager, and select your connection. in the options, find the option for "allow all users to connect" (I forget exact wording).

There is a race condition where at times the network will not connect because the user isn't logged in yet. We've got it paired down but it still crops up from time to time.

Usually when this happens, network-manager is running, but it hasn't connected. In this case, you should be able to just simply disable/enable from the network manager right-click menu.

If network-manager isn't actually running in your case, then that would be a new bug that we haven't seen.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#3 Post by chrispop99 »

Right-click Network Manager icon and select 'Edit Connections'.
Click on the connection you are using, and select 'Edit'.
Click and 'General' tab, and see if there is a check-mark in 'All users may connect to this network'. If there isn't, click the box to check it, click 'Save', then close out and reboot.

Please post again with any results.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Started a new Wiki entry with this:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/hardware/network-manager
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#5 Post by chrispop99 »

Thanks Jerry.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

silvarius

#6 Post by silvarius »

I know you said network-manager doesn't start, but try this, which assumes network-manager has started but not connected.
I confirm that the network manager doesn't start. When I right click the widget and click on "edit", it's emply. There is no connection. However, I can open a terminal and type "sudo service network-manager start". Then, it starts and connects to the wifi router like a charm. I can't say more because I don't understand what happens, especially as it is not systematic.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Can you confirm that Settings > Session and Startup> Application Autostart shows a check in the box next to Network Manager?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

silvarius wrote:
I confirm that the network manager doesn't start. When I right click the widget and click on "edit", it's emply. There is no connection. However, I can open a terminal and type "sudo service network-manager start". Then, it starts and connects to the wifi router like a charm. I can't say more because I don't understand what happens, especially as it is not systematic.

Ok. Extract the attached .desktop file and place into your /etc/xdg/autostart directory. This will force an network-manager to restart upon login.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

silvarius

#9 Post by silvarius »

Thank you very much. I put the file and will wait for a week before setting this thread as "solved".

The reactivity of your help and support is really impressive!

Kind regards,

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”