MX-17_x64 Final : can't boot on multibootUSB

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
k_sz

MX-17_x64 Final : can't boot on multibootUSB

#1 Post by k_sz »

Hello,

currently using Debian Stretch/XFCE and looking for a light systemd-free Linux system, i wish i could try yours ^^ but sadly MX-17_x64 and antiX-17.b2_x64-full don't boot correctly on my laptop*.

Both have been installed on an USBkey (16Gb Corsair Flash Voyager, USB 2.0) beside other distros which i have been able to test thanks to multibootusb (and Grub 2).

I have tried several solutions from the boot menu (all, custom) and all of it have ended with the same message :

Code: Select all

couldn't find antiX/linuxfs folder
or something like that :$
  • Is it because it's a multiboot USB key ?
  • If not, is there any parameter i should modify in the files stored on the USB key ?
  • Is there any specific parameter from the boot menu i should use ?
*modified Futjitsu s7220 <= Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8700, 4 Go DDR3 SDRAM, SSD Samsung EVO 850 256Go
Last edited by k_sz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

tascoast

Re: MX-17_x64 Final : can't boot on live-USB

#2 Post by tascoast »

I would recommend testing on a spare USB alone first, although some users familiar with multi-boot USB arrangements might have advice specific to that situation.

Welcome to the MX Forum too. :number1:
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

k_sz

#3 Post by k_sz »

\o ty for the warm #1 welcome ^^

Well i hope i'll find an empty USB key somewhere in the jungle of my desk and bookcases :P but i really wish it would be another way (what would be the point of large USB keys if you're able to use only 5% of it ?).
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

I don't know about multibootusb, but Easy2Boot does work to add MX and antix isos to a multi-boot USB stick.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Is it because it's a multiboot USB key ?
almost certainly yes.

the automatic multiboot liveUSB setups almost never set up correctly for antiX (and by extension MX). It may be an issue with the way some of our paths are coded in to the live system's initrd.gz, but on the other hand the antiX live-USB system gives us a bunch more options than your average live setup.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

k_sz

Re: MX-17_x64 Final : can't boot on multibootUSB

#6 Post by k_sz »

OK, thank you for your quick answers.
Found an empty USB, currently answering from antiX \o/ => let's try MX.
**edit**
All right ! MX booted to RAM. I like what i see here - very convivial, and the 'Welcome' menu is well done (and correctly translated in my native language <3).

Anyway, back to my question : i'll probably ask on the multibootusb forums if I can manage to use one USB key (i like to show people the different Linux distros and their features, and Hiren's Boot CD + UBCD are crucial) .

**edit 2**
changed the title to "MX-17_x64 Final : can't boot on multibootUSB".

davemx

#7 Post by davemx »

Another thread shows how to boot MX from multibootusb:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 24#p459424
Desktop: Mini-Box M350 with Asus H110i-plus motherboard, Pentium G4600 processor, 2TB SSD and 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133
Printer/Scanner: Brother MFC-J5335W
Laptop: Lenovo V15 ADA
Media Centre: Lenovo Q190

c4os

#8 Post by c4os »

The easiest way to boot mxlinux with multibootusb is:

- Copy the iso file so the ./multibootusb/iso folder.

After boot from your usb stick:
- Select "Load GRUB2 BootManager".
- Than "Scan and boot ISOs under /multiboot/iso ->"
- Than "*MX-17.1_x64.iso ->" or "*MX-17.1_386.iso ->", depending on with iso file you choose.
Powered on: MX 17 Horizon x86_64
Hardware: Dell Latitude E4300 - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 (2) @ 2.535GHz - Memory: 4GB
Style: Resolution: 1280x800 - WM Theme: Balou - Theme: Blackbird [GTK2/3] - Icons: Papirus-Dark [GTK2]

fehlix
Developer

#9 Post by fehlix »

c4os wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:55 am The easiest way to boot mxlinux with multibootusb is:

- Than "*MX-17.1_x64.iso ->" or "*MX-17.1_386.iso ->", depending on with iso file you choose.
Great. :number1:
Just checked booting from MultiBootUSB-Stick within a VirtualBox: Works fantastic.

To Add:
In the Grub-Menu before you press "MX" to boot you can press E to edit and
append your keyboard, language and timezone at the end of the line starting with "linux"
Here as an example for
German keyboard, language and timezone:
kbd=de kbvar=nodeadkeys kbopt=caps:none lang=de tz=Europe/Berlin

ALternatively select the Text Menu entry, to go through the selection process of those settings.

Note further: Presistance option from the text menu will probably not work as we boot
through a fromISO boot option, where persistance is not supported.

EDIT: To enable persistance see the other post here,
where I have shown some boot-menu entries to enable persistance options booting MX Linux from MultibootUSB.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

c4os

#10 Post by c4os »

fehlix wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:26 am
c4os wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:55 am The easiest way to boot mxlinux with multibootusb is:

Great. :number1:
Just checked booting from MultiBootUSB-Stick within a VirtualBox: Works fantastic.

To Add:
In the Grub-Menu before you press "MX" to boot you can press E to edit and
append your keyboard, language and timezone at the end of the line starting with "linux"
Here as an example for
German keyboard, language and timezone:
kbd=de kbvar=nodeadkeys kbopt=caps:none lang=de tz=Europe/Berlin

ALternatively select the Text Menu entry, to go through the selection process of those settings.

Note further: Presistance option from the text menu will probably not work as we boot
through a fromISO boot option, where persistance is not supported.

EDIT: To enable persistance see the other post here,
where I have shown some boot-menu entries to enable persistance options booting MX Linux from MultibootUSB.
I made some tests with my test laptop and the installation doesn't work!
With this method grub runs into initramfs console.

Error: Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems: -Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)

The error does not occur with an usbstick created with etcher.
For live testing it works as expected.
Powered on: MX 17 Horizon x86_64
Hardware: Dell Latitude E4300 - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 (2) @ 2.535GHz - Memory: 4GB
Style: Resolution: 1280x800 - WM Theme: Balou - Theme: Blackbird [GTK2/3] - Icons: Papirus-Dark [GTK2]

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”