Whisker menu oddness

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Whisker menu oddness

#51 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Its is possible to create other categories by creating new .directory entries in /usr/share/desktop-directories in combination with editing /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu. If you are careful, you can even create new categories.

Once you make the new menu/category combo, the mx-menu-editor is already ready to pick up the changes and allow you to put custom entries into those spots.

you can put a modified xfce4-applications.menu in ~/.config/menus and the new .directory file in ~/.local/usr/share/desktop-directories to keep things in your home folder and away from upstream updates.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#52 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I filed a bug report about Other vanishing from whiskermenu with Graeme Gott. He says::

--- Comment #1 from Graeme Gott <graeme@gottcode.org> ---
Fixed in d643f54.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Ancient_Hermit

#53 Post by Ancient_Hermit »

I know this an old thread, but I just checked and I am still only able to get the 6.2.3 version as it was way back when.

Is it possible that we could have the later (and now current for about 2 years and some change) version of 8.0.1 from 2016-11-09?

Is it onerous to update this in our repo? I don't want to ask for crazy work here, but it's looking pretty dated right now. Also some minor bugs in the map drawing routines which one might hope would have gone away by now.

Hope it is do-able.
Cheers,
Ian

asqwerth
Developer

#54 Post by asqwerth »

Ancient_Hermit wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:52 pm I know this an old thread, but I just checked and I am still only able to get the 6.2.3 version as it was way back when.

Is it possible that we could have the later (and now current for about 2 years and some change) version of 8.0.1 from 2016-11-09?

Is it onerous to update this in our repo? I don't want to ask for crazy work here, but it's looking pretty dated right now. Also some minor bugs in the map drawing routines which one might hope would have gone away by now.

Hope it is do-able.
The newer whisker menu is gtk3, and go with the gtk3 xfce 4.14 in Debian Buster/MX19. I have no idea if it will work in MX17/18/Stretch on a gtk2 xfce panel.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Ancient_Hermit

#55 Post by Ancient_Hermit »

Sorry , mea culpa, it's ZyGrib I was asking about, not the menu.

Thanks for trying.

I also asked elsewhere, but I'm still no nearer finding out. Oh well.
Cheers,
Ian

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”