Looking for new MX translation co-ordinator

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Old Giza

Looking for new MX translation co-ordinator

#1 Post by Old Giza »

Would you like to join the MX team as the new translation co-ordinator? If you have some time to devote to your favorite operating system, have an interest in languages and the written word, are comfortable with the command line, and want to be part of a dedicated group of volunteers, then maybe this role is for you.

What does the MX translation co-ordinator do? His or her main function is to act as the interface between MX developers and translators, smoothing the translation process so that both these groups can focus on what they do best. Being organized and responsive is more important than a technical background. More details can be found in these wiki articles. Don't be put off by all the detail. Most of the time, translation updates are just a case of a few simple repeated actions.

Before taking on this role, be sure you will have the time (a few hours a week perhaps, more around release times) and the willingness to learn some new things. Send me a PM if, after reading the articles, you think you would like to explore helping MX Linux in this way. Or continue the discussion in this thread.

Thanks!

Friedrich

Re: Looking for new MX translation co-ordinator

#2 Post by Friedrich »

Old Giza wrote:His or her main function is to act as the interface between MX developers and translators, smoothing the translation process
Please elaborate a bit more on how this actually works.
Being "comfortable with the command line" for example leaves a lot of room for imagination.. .

Old Giza

#3 Post by Old Giza »

Hello Friedrich. Yes, I guess that is a bit vague. I mean knowing the normal Linux commands like cd, mkdir, cat, cp, ls, and so on. There are quite a few scripts to execute as well. A basic familiarity with git is helpful, but that can be learned.

This specific article shows the type of commands being used. Knowing some bash scripting would also be helpful in case adjustments have to be done to the utility scripts or new ones added. Again, it can be picked up, and help sought from other team members. It should be coupled with a willingness to fill in ones gaps by reading man pages and tutorials. But it is possible to accomplish the main tasks fairly quickly just by becoming familiar with the basic process.

Old Giza

#4 Post by Old Giza »

* bump *

Anyone interested in taking this on? Send me a personal message if you think it might be something you'd like to explore!

Old Giza

#5 Post by Old Giza »

I am happy to report that Roy Avrett (ravrett) has offered to take on the role of Translation Coordinator. Please welcome Roy to the translation team! Thank you for all the support you've given me over the past few years, and I know Roy will benefit from the same great spirit. I'll be sticking around a little longer to assist Roy as he gets familiar with the project.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Welcome Roy!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

Thanks Roy for willing to take on this task!

ravrett

#8 Post by ravrett »

Thanks all. I look forward to getting my feet under me and actually helping out.

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

Thanks and welcome! Wow, you're a newly-minted member - have you been lurking on the forums all this while?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

ravrett

#10 Post by ravrett »

It's a long story, but yeah, I would qualify as a lurker. :)

Return to “Translations”