Some new translations needed for apt-notifier

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
Gordon Cooper

Re: Some new translations needed for apt-notifier

#11 Post by Gordon Cooper »

@ cyrilus. MX is quite well known in many countries. Part of my daily routine is checking to see how busy are my torrents uploads. Brazil, Russian Federation and Spain are frequent downloaders, with Belgium, France, Argentia and Italy appearing regularly.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

cyrilus31

#12 Post by cyrilus31 »

Jerry3904 wrote:
yes I know Jerry but the first page with download/and explanation could be enough
There is a Google translate button there, right?
If you think this is enough, then, it's ok with me.
Gordon Cooper wrote:@ cyrilus. MX is quite well known in many countries. Part of my daily routine is checking to see how busy are my torrents uploads. Brazil, Russian Federation and Spain are frequent downloaders, with Belgium, France, Argentia and Italy appearing regularly.
Yes Gordon, I'm part of that downloaders :happy: . I'm sure figures must be quite high but how high? 100, 1000, more?
Anyway, I'm sure you have, Jerry and you, a greater appreciation of the situation.

ekeimaja

#13 Post by ekeimaja »

I am now creating translations in Finnish for this, but some texts are quite difficult to translate when you cannot see them in action. I reserve a right to fix them if needed.
Desktop: AMD 3700X, 32 Gb RAM, RX 5700XT (MX 23.1)
Laptops: Juno Nyx 15 v1, Intel i5-10210U, 16Gb RAM (MX 21.2)
Asus Eee 1005P, Intel Atom N450, 2 Gb RAM, Intel GMA3150 (MX 21.2)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

@cyrilus: I don't think it is enough, I just think it's the most we can do right now.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

cyrilus31

#15 Post by cyrilus31 »

Jerry do not misinterpret my last statement. It was not a criticism but an observation as I don't know the "internal affairs" behind your website.
I once translated antiX main page (before it moved to the new antiX forum) so that people could directly read news in there own language (that was the way Anti made things work). But you're right I don't know how it works for MX and the amount of work it means :)

Old Giza

#16 Post by Old Giza »

ekeimaja wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:48 am I am now creating translations in Finnish for this, but some texts are quite difficult to translate when you cannot see them in action. I reserve a right to fix them if needed.
I believe the latest version of apt-notifier has been made available, so you should be able to see your translations, but of course it depends on the situation that generates the text in question happening. No problem refining the translations at any time.

I've noticed all the activity regarding Finnish translations over the last little while. Thank you very much!

Old Giza

#17 Post by Old Giza »

Old Giza wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 pm I believe the latest version of apt-notifier has been made available, so you should be able to see your translations, but of course it depends on the situation that generates the text in question happening.
Now that's a ridiculous statement I just made. Was thinking of testing translations in another scenario and got it all wrong. It is possible to test your translations but not without doing other steps first that we don't expect translators to do in such cases. All to say, shouldn't be too long before you see the fruits of your labour and can edit your translations as needed.

fehlix
Developer

#18 Post by fehlix »

Old Giza wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:11 pm ... and can edit your translations as needed.
Well, this is actually a good point, which I wasn't clear about how to re-adjust translation after having seen them real in the app running. So you are saying, if I see
in an app (I mean from mx-tools etc), some translations are not well translatated, I could go into transifex an adjust in my language accordingly, right?
And when ever a new update of the app will be released, the adjusted translation from transifex will be in place?
I assume a new update will not be made, if only translation strings have been changed?
So if an app is fairly stable, with no due updates, we would not see any changes of the adjusted translations strings until the dev-team decides to release a new version/update?
Certainly I'm missing something here, not knowing the procedure well enough!
--fehlix
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Old Giza

#19 Post by Old Giza »

New updates of the app(s) can come through any time, not just at new MX versions or point releases, if that's what you mean. I guess it's a question of whether there's a significant amount of work done since the last update. I intend to push the last few months work through soon.

fehlix
Developer

#20 Post by fehlix »

Old Giza wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 pm New updates of the app(s) can come through any time, not just at new MX versions or point releases, if that's what you mean. I guess it's a question of whether there's a significant amount of work done since the last update. I intend to push the last few months work through soon.
I think I have understood. I will now go through some translations strings I've now seen live in the latest gazelle-installer and will apply some smaller translations fixes. And for other apps I can do this as well. You will than push them through, whenever you think the amount of translation-string changes/updates is enough for an update of that app to put it out. Or something like that. ;=)
Thanks.
--fehlix
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Translations”