please - the proper term is " X Window " not : " X-Windows " , thank you

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
tascoast

Re: please - the proper term is " X Window " not : " X-Windows " , thank you

#11 Post by tascoast »

To be fair, and I'm no editing expert, em and en and hyphen can be tricky tricky enough to use correctly, while their inclusion in various print mediums can present their own challenge to encode and render. I just know enough to reach for the style manual if needed, most of the time. I do know that Eucalyptus regnans is the tallest flowering angiosperm (or flowering plant) and that someone with a passing or keen interest in flora would read the otherwise acceptable abbreviation (in context), E. Regnans as technically and aesthetically wrong, jarring the senses ever so slightly at the least (a species name is always written in lower case, preferably in italics, the preceding genus is capitalized). My googles suggests that X Windows is the correct and formal designation, so I could understand some enthusiasts or those working in the area feeling a similar way to botanists or perhaps particularly keen gardeners, in my given example. I'm also a great believer in trying to communicate effectively and respectfully, considering this to be typically the most effective approach, if not simply just for pragmatic reasons, given the far greater challenges our world faces that hinge upon so many small and great misunderstandings and differences. I'm lost for emoticons here but peace to all.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 23..2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-23.2/MX21.3./antiX 23/Mint 21.3, Ubuntu 22.04.4, openSUSE Tumbleweed,

Jerry3904
Administrator

#12 Post by Jerry3904 »

Wikipedia:
The X Window System (X11, or shortened to simply X, and sometimes informally X-Windows) is a windowing system for bitmap displays, common on UNIX-like computer operating systems.
I have no problem following informal usage, since this is not an official document, but intend to supply an AKA with citation the first time we use it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

tascoast

#13 Post by tascoast »

That seems a reasonable and common enough convention. X Window System is a bit wordy.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 23..2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-23.2/MX21.3./antiX 23/Mint 21.3, Ubuntu 22.04.4, openSUSE Tumbleweed,

Return to “Translations”