Geox-tweak-xfce : an app for customize theme and panel

Show us how you are setting up MX
QaldeK

Geox-tweak-xfce : an app for customize theme and panel

#1 Post by QaldeK »

Hello !

I finally git my app for make xfce appearance customization easier and consistent : "Geox Tweak Xfce" ! It's my first program, i begin to learn python for that...
It goal is to :
- 1 : theming xfce consistently : change gtk theme, window decoration, icons (and libreoffice button) in one click
- 2 : give the choice of various panel organisation, for making xfce look like ubuntu, gnome2, xubuntu, mxlinux... Some layout use xfdashboard and dockbarx-plugin
- 3 : give the choice of papirus folder color (with integration of the dedicated script)

It work on my machine, and i search some people to test it. There is a deb in the git repos :
https://github.com/QaldeK/geox-tweak-xfce

Comments and bug report are welcome !

MX23-KDE /dell latitude 7490 / fr

Auro Kumar Sahoo

Re: Geox-tweak-xfce : an app for customize theme and panel

#2 Post by Auro Kumar Sahoo »

Looks quite promising for those who love customise their desktop.
Does it require any learning curve like command line or python or any regular user can use it Like current MX tool/ tweak?

I hope it should available in MX repos if it's well tested for bugs and user friendly for all.
Wallpapers for mx : https://www.flickr.com/photos/aurokumar ... 2672882131 & page2
MX help : https://mxlinux.org/manuals/

दुर्लभम् हि सदा सुखम् ||{Ramayan २-१८-१३}
To be happy always is something which is difficult to achieve.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

We have to be careful to give full credit and license information in debian/copyright to third-party code like the papirus-colors script you use, if you did indeed add it to yours. That's about the most time-consuming parts of making a package from scratch for our repos.

A workaround is to just have yours depend on that script package, since it's already in our repos, and have your program use that version. But that would make it a bit harder to use on something like vanilla Debian, which doesn't have that script package. A workaround for that would be to have both packages in an openSUSE Build Service repo, which can act like a PPA for Debian, Ubuntu, Raspian, etc. (as well as for Arch and many rpm based distros, though I don't know how to use it for those :frown: )

QaldeK

#4 Post by QaldeK »

@ Auro Kumar Sahoo : No command line is needed, one aims is an user friendy tool for theming xfce, with a one click for that, rather the multiple step with the xfce appearance manager ( theme + window decor + icon).. The deb can be installed, but you can try the script without installation (by launching the geox-tweak.desktop in the root folder).

@Stevo : Yep, i forgot that for some theme and for papirus-script-folder... I will add that in the deb package and the src/ directory. Thanks you for letting me know that !

dave88

#5 Post by dave88 »

Is this optional app finished now or still in development and testing now? And is there a tutorial on how to use it online?

QaldeK

#6 Post by QaldeK »

@dave88
It still in development and it's for testing. I fix some bug recently, so i think it is usuable on mx linux.
There is no tutorial, but if you install it with all recommends package, it have an intuitive gui...

QaldeK

#7 Post by QaldeK »

Some news :
A lot of update >
https://github.com/QaldeK/geox-tweak-xfce

Also a new systray application for switch between dark and light theme.

One command install : a bash script install Geox-tweak-xfce and try to install all other software used for enhance xfce desktop (plank, xfdashboard, dockbarx, synapse)
It should work on MX 19.1 and MX 18 (also xubuntu 18.04 and linux mint 19.03).

Feedback are welcome

https://github.com/QaldeK/geox-tweak-xf ... shots6.png

https://github.com/QaldeK/geox-tweak-xf ... shots8.png

mod note: images changed to links. Please read the forum rules on remote linked images.

SwampRabbit

#8 Post by SwampRabbit »

QaldeK wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:14 pm One command install : a bash script install Geox-tweak-xfce and try to install all other software used for enhance xfce desktop (plank, xfdashboard, dockbarx, synapse)
It should work on MX 19.1 and MX 18 (also xubuntu 18.04 and linux mint 19.03).
I think it is cool what you are tying to accomplish, I just have one piece of feedback.

Rather than trying to install all those applications or all the themes, would it be possible to only have the option to install those if the user chooses?
If they are already installed the option to use them would become available or if the user tries to use something that requires say Plank, it asks the user if they want to install?

Maybe have it use installed themes by default, I personally don't want to install a thousand Mint themes. 9_9
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

jeffreyC

#9 Post by jeffreyC »

I also do not want to install a lot of themes I will never use, once I find a theme I like I seldom to never change it so the others are wasted space and do not care for a dock all that much. I tend toward minimalism on my desktop.

QaldeK

#10 Post by QaldeK »

Rather than trying to install all those applications or all the themes, would it be possible to only have the option to install those if the user chooses?
If they are already installed the option to use them would become available or if the user tries to use something that requires say Plank, it asks the user if they want to install?
The install script is now divided in two part : first one just install GTX, the other ask another confirm to install other software and theme, and install them if they not. Geox-tweak check the installed software at launch, and offers in a "warning" bar to install missing app.

... But yeah, i could improve that : the "desktop layout" that cannot function well without third-party softwares have not yet been made clearly inaccessible when third party missing, and it probably better if themes are not installed by defaut, but only when user click to use one which missing (with ask-prompt before). However, the installed themes are optimised for not taking to much place : only xfce's things are keep, all cinnamon and other are not installed.

Thanks for comment!

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”