MX-17 Screenshots

Show us how you are setting up MX
koesherbacon

Re: MX-17 Screenshots

#251 Post by koesherbacon »

reykev wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:55 pm My second post on MX Linux Forums.
Omg dude. That is A LOT of Green! And a ton of desktop icons!

... Did you really set it up that way on purpose? Are you a new comer to Linux overall? I know that tone can be hard to guess on the internet, I'm genuinely curious about your desktop since it is basically the polar opposite of my own. I'm not trying to make fun, insult or make you feel bad, so I do apologize if you are offended by my question.

If you are new would you like some help to make your setup a little easier on the eyes? When I first moved over to Linux I definitely had some growing pains too while adjusting to how it operated compared to OSX/Windows.
〜 Ev

reykev

#252 Post by reykev »

koesherbacon:
Yes, that's a lot of green I agree. I did that on purpose. That color has uplifting properties for me, it helps inspire creative energies again, for me.

I came to Linux when MS dropped support for XP starting out with a new machine from System 76 with Ubuntu 14.04 installed. On that "unity" desktop I loved all the "shortcuts" I could put there and I'm still doing that. Why "menu" through a thing, or even hit a key and start typing if my most used apps are 1 click away. It is functional for me.

Thank you for your statements on "tone". I am not offended and am in fact open to any "options" you may care to offer up. Could you for example show me the polar opposite which I hear is easier on the eyes?

Thanks!

Kevin

Richard

#253 Post by Richard »

I've placed the panel all over, but I think I like this best --less interference.
This arrangement allows larger icons for active apps in the left panel. The right side tool bar autohides.
Image...Image
Last edited by Richard on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

reykev

#254 Post by reykev »

Richard: Thank you for the screenshot. I like the image. I also like all the shortcuts (links) on both sides of your desktop. Those must give you quick access to all your most used apps, or so I figure anyway, which is the kind of environment I like.

catalinux

#255 Post by catalinux »

I've been lurking arround here for a while. Here is my desktop. It's MX 17.1 but I love that wallpaper the most. Also it fits really good with the Conky since it looks like a biology class manual or something.

Acer Aspire One D260
Lately got a Lenovo V110-15ISK too

Buck Fankers

#256 Post by Buck Fankers »

koesherbacon wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:35 pm And a ton of desktop icons!
I'm genuinely curious about your desktop since it is basically the polar opposite of my own.
If you think he has a lot of icons, you should see my desktop, I'm running out of space lol

I hear a lot about 'clean and uncluttered desktop' among Linux users. And I'm always wondering why. I have all kind of shortcuts on my desktop. Shortcuts to applications, folders, shortcuts to documents... so all are available to me with only one simple single mouse click. I never understood, why it would be better any other way. I can see the point some fast typer (i'm slow at typing) can faster type in the whisker menu and get say document. But do you guys remember the names of all of the documents for example? If not, how you type in their name... etc. I don't know, to me, ton of icons just make more sense to me.

reykev

#257 Post by reykev »

Buck Fankers wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:39 am
koesherbacon wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:35 pm And a ton of desktop icons!
I'm genuinely curious about your desktop since it is basically the polar opposite of my own.
I have all kind of shortcuts on my desktop. Shortcuts to applications, folders, shortcuts to documents... so all are available to me with only one simple single mouse click.
I have to say I agree. Everything's right there. That's the way I do it.

asqwerth
Developer

#258 Post by asqwerth »

catalinux wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:47 am I've been lurking arround here for a while. Here is my desktop. It's MX 17.1 but I love that wallpaper the most. Also it fits really good with the Conky since it looks like a biology class manual or something....
I also like this wallpaper a lot.

The original was from here - https://pixabay.com/en/cocoon-butterfly ... al-591555/

but if you want the wallpaper with the generic MX Linux logo, here it is:

https://imgur.com/Kn3O1NQ
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

male

#259 Post by male »

Conky-Syntax1.10; weather.lua and lua.weather.sh-Script from @damo
You need an API key from Openweathermap.
unvollMX17.png.jpg
Unfortunately, I have a mistake with my location with the wind.
If you are interested, I would be happy to post the three files. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

#260 Post by Richard »

And after using the left vertical panel for a while, I find it interfering with my way of working,
so, back to the tried and true, for the netbooks and now also on the laptop. All running MX-17.1.
The right side bar autohides on all, and the bottom bar autohides on the netbooks as well.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”