MX-19 and systemd

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX-19 and systemd

#21 Post by dolphin_oracle »

xali wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 am so if you want to install a snap for some reason but still want to work with sysv, which is the appropriate approach?
none. snaps require systemd. so you boot systemd mode if you want to use snaps.

which is why we offer flatpaks instead of snaps. flatpaks do not require systemd.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#22 Post by Adrian »

I'm glad we are not ideological driven like antiX and we offer choices to people. In the small poll I created I see that about 10% percent of our users do make use of systemd in one way or another, I'm glad we'll not let them down.

anticapitalista
Developer

#23 Post by anticapitalista »

In the same vein as Adrian's post above, I'm glad antiX has taken an ideological position and we will stick to it as our users expect.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#24 Post by dolphin_oracle »

it all works :)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

mx-2018

#25 Post by mx-2018 »

Adrian wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 am I'm glad we are not ideological driven like antiX and we offer choices to people. In the small poll I created I see that about 10% percent of our users do make use of systemd in one way or another, I'm glad we'll not let them down.
That must be the reason why MX became #1 at distrowatch ranking.

I can't really understand people saying they'll ditch MX-19, because it's giving people a choice... a choice they already have in MX-18.x and earlier.
MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics

uncle mark

#26 Post by uncle mark »

mx-2018 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:54 amI can't really understand people saying they'll ditch MX-19, because it's giving people a choice... a choice they already have in MX-18.x and earlier.
Those would be the uninformed.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Adrian
Developer

#27 Post by Adrian »

I personally would be happy to lose such users. (That's OK anticapitalista, we'll send them all to you)

asqwerth
Developer

#28 Post by asqwerth »

To be fair to those users, Debian Buster did break systemd-shim, so co-existence of both inits in the same installation was looking uncertain for MX19, if not for the person who stepped up to look into fixing the shim package for Buster.

So for those users who like MX but need systemd for some reason, they might have had to find another distro if MX decided to stick with antiX base and go full on sysV with no systemd.

Or if they wanted MX to stay with sysV as default, they might have left -- possibly to antiX -- if MX went completely systemd.

I think in their own way, both antiX and MX offer an out-of-the-box alternative (I'm sure Head on a Stick will be by soon to explain that if you knew what you were doing, you could choose from a range of inits besides systemd in Debian proper, ;) ) to systemd-as-default in Debian-land.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Head_on_a_Stick

#29 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:32 pm I'm sure Head on a Stick will be by soon to explain that if you knew what you were doing, you could choose from a range of inits besides systemd in Debian proper
:happy:

Have you tried runit-init? It's awesome...
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

manyroads

#30 Post by manyroads »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:48 pm
asqwerth wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:32 pm I'm sure Head on a Stick will be by soon to explain that if you knew what you were doing, you could choose from a range of inits besides systemd in Debian proper
:happy:

Have you tried runit-init? It's awesome...
Now that you're here @Head_on_a_Stick... :lipsrsealed: Have you thought of writing a tutorial on how-to change inits on Debian based systems? I'm assuming you have done that. I have encountered folks on other Forums who would love to see how it's done. :eek: :needcoffee:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”