Give me a few reasons WHY

brolly

Give me a few reasons WHY

#1 Post by brolly »

Hi guys. I' m currently using Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE x64 for my business computer and MX 18.3 x64 for my personal computer. Can people give me reasons why i should consider MX 18.3 for my business computer? I know its all personal choice related but i am looking for more security stability reasons etc or even advantages of MX over Minx

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Give me a few reasons WHY

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Excellent support forum? ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#3 Post by j2mcgreg »

The question really is whether there is software specifically related to your business that is solely available in one of the distros. If there isn't, then I'd suggest that the business machine be switched to MX and for your motivation I think that you should look no further than the reasons behind your initial install of MX on your home machine.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

Huckleberry Finn

#4 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Hi Brolly,

... But this is the question to be asked to you.. I don't guess someone, especially someone from the dev. team of any distro will talk anything about another distro like "ours is better, give up that and use ours.. "

You already know that one of the best sides of Linux in general is the ability to use several distros at the same time on the same machine.. And MX on mine doesn't occupy even 5 GB when first installed.. Only 4.7 GB on a 8GB partition currently..

So, best is to use both and decide later. Meanwhile, my first Linux was L. Mint Cinnamon and I have them together on my machine.. I like them both. But in time I realized that I began to use MX more..

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

brolly wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:32 pm Hi guys. I' m currently using Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE x64 for my business computer and MX 18.3 x64 for my personal computer. Can people give me reasons why i should consider MX 18.3 for my business computer? I know its all personal choice related but i am looking for more security stability reasons etc or even advantages of MX over Minx
Not gonna lie--Mint Xfce 18 was sweet! Here's the bad news, you are going to want to update that in less than 2 years before support runs out and Mint 19 Xfce, not so sweet, not nearly as nice as Mint 18. Not talking bad about a distro as I've been a Mint fan years past.

You are in no hurry, continue to use Mint and MX, and keep in mind MX 19 will be out before support runs out on your current Mint install, and that would be a great time to switch. No reason to do so ATM. Just weigh your options and keep MX 19 in mind.

NGIB

#6 Post by NGIB »

Simplest reason is one system to master and maintain. I run the exact same systems on all my machines (have 4 in the house). I install MX, add and remove programs, tweak the system as I like it, then make a personal snapshot. I use the snapshot to install on my other machines...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

brolly

#7 Post by brolly »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:45 pm Excellent support forum? ;)
Yup I can't argue with that. You guys are fantastic :number1:

brolly

#8 Post by brolly »

j2mcgreg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:00 pm The question really is whether there is software specifically related to your business that is solely available in one of the distros. If there isn't, then I'd suggest that the business machine be switched to MX and for your motivation I think that you should look no further than the reasons behind your initial install of MX on your home machine.
Good point. I was under the illusion that Mint XFCE 18.3 is a lot faster and more stable. I think the opposite is true. Ive spent more time troubleshooting and ironing out bugs than actually enjoying the system
Last edited by brolly on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brolly

#9 Post by brolly »

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:08 pm Hi Brolly,

... But this is the question to be asked to you.. I don't guess someone, especially someone from the dev. team of any distro will talk anything about another distro like "ours is better, give up that and use ours.. "

You already know that one of the best sides of Linux in general is the ability to use several distros at the same time on the same machine.. And MX on mine doesn't occupy even 5 GB when first installed.. Only 4.7 GB on a 8GB partition currently..

So, best is to use both and decide later. Meanwhile, my first Linux was L. Mint Cinnamon and I have them together on my machine.. I like them both. But in time I realized that I began to use MX more..
I get your point. Interestingly enough i asked this question the other way round on the Mint forums..not a single response from anyone :eek: It just goes to show how "passionate" they are about their OS and community lol
Last edited by brolly on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brolly

#10 Post by brolly »

KBD wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:01 pm
brolly wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:32 pm Hi guys. I' m currently using Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE x64 for my business computer and MX 18.3 x64 for my personal computer. Can people give me reasons why i should consider MX 18.3 for my business computer? I know its all personal choice related but i am looking for more security stability reasons etc or even advantages of MX over Minx
Not gonna lie--Mint Xfce 18 was sweet! Here's the bad news, you are going to want to update that in less than 2 years before support runs out and Mint 19 Xfce, not so sweet, not nearly as nice as Mint 18. Not talking bad about a distro as I've been a Mint fan years past.

You are in no hurry, continue to use Mint and MX, and keep in mind MX 19 will be out before support runs out on your current Mint install, and that would be a great time to switch. No reason to do so ATM. Just weigh your options and keep MX 19 in mind.
I agree with Linux Mint 18 to 19 transition. I've never been a fan of Mint 19. Their upgrade proceedure is nothing short of a nightmare. Am i right to assume that MCX Linux is a "rolling-ish" distro? I'm only asking because people have mentioned upgrading from one release to another without having to do a fresh install
Last edited by brolly on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General”