MX is really something special

seaken64

Re: MX is really something special

#11 Post by seaken64 »

I am interested in the Trinity Desktop Environment but I'm not ready to go it alone yet. I may set up a test machine and try installing it on MX.

In the meantime I did find Q4OS and it uses the TDE as one of it's default desktops. I am testing it out. Not quite as lean as antiX but it installed nicely on a P4 with 3GB Ram and 3.2Ghz with Hyperthreading. I don't usually get as good an experience with MX on that machine. TDE runs pretty snappy. And brings back some memories.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

baldyeti

#12 Post by baldyeti »

Out of curiosity i once added the trinity repository to MX16 (jessie-based) and installed KDE3. I have not spent that much time with it but it seemed to work just fine. Lightdm lets me pick either XFCE or KDE as expected.

lonesomepoint

#13 Post by lonesomepoint »

I can make my response compliment all three members of the MEPIS family simultaneously.

By the end of this year, I will have been using MX for five years, because I think I discovered it in late 2014--I remember trying it out and playing with it that December. (I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been 2013, but if MX existed in 2013, feel free to correct me.) There is only one other distro I have used for five years straight: MEPIS itself. (The only reason I quit using MEPIS, in early 2011, is because KDE had adopted that Plasma Desktop thing. I promptly dumped KDE and MEPIS.)

And my second-longest-used distro is antiX. It was the first thing I found after I dumped MEPIS proper, and I kept it even though the software didn't fit me. I used to modify my antiX extensively until it superficially resembled what we have now in MX, which pretty well indicates that a distro like MX was what I wanted in the first place.
Last edited by lonesomepoint on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

lonesomepoint

#14 Post by lonesomepoint »

baldyeti wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:24 am Out of curiosity i once added the trinity repository to MX16 (jessie-based) and installed KDE3. I have not spent that much time with it but it seemed to work just fine. Lightdm lets me pick either XFCE or KDE as expected.
I liked Trinity when I discovered it, but I was starting to have certain problems that made me suspect Trinity was just a little buggy. Your comment makes me curious to know whether it's been improved, but I'm so satisfied with XFCE that I don't know if I want to bother switching.

More about how happy I am with MX: It has been so long since I've experimented with adding software outside our usual repositories, that if I wanted to try KDE Trinity, I would have to look up how to change my list of repositories--I'm not sure I remember. I used to do it all the time...

lonesomepoint

#15 Post by lonesomepoint »

JayM wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:33 pm
Gordon Cooper wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:17 pm @ Seaken64 trinity is in the main MX repo.
That trinity's description says "system call fuzz tester". It's not the Trinity desktop environment. There's Budgie, Gnome, KDE5 Plasma, LXDE, Cinnamon and MATE in the repos.

Welcome to the forum and MX Linux, SUSEconvert.
Yes, Trinity has its own repositories to install. Looking them up, I found that the current repositories are:

Code: Select all

deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian               <your-distribution>  main
deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian     <your-distribution>  main
deb-src http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian           <your-distribution>  main
deb-src http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian <your-distribution>  main
I'm inquisitive, so I have decided I have to at least see what Trinity is like after five or more years. It would have to be something to make me give up XFCE, though.

OldWindowsDev

#16 Post by OldWindowsDev »

I totally agree with this sentiment. As a Windows refugee I wanted a productive desktop that did not get in the way. I tried many ubuntu derivatives, (Mint, chaletos, Zorin,ubuntu's, and opensuse) eventually I found their quirky issues. I tried debian, but wanted a bit more eye candy. Always opting for the leanest full featured OS I can find i was attracted to antix, while functional it is missing some features I wanted.

MX fits the bill so far, no networking issues, no VPN issues, WINE works better, conky is implemented correctly and all for less than 700M. I do not have to spend all day configuring this OS, I can get right to work! I like that!

KUDOs to the dev team and everyone that puts out this quality distro!!

Pierre

#17 Post by Pierre »

the MX system does install really well, & it looks really nice,,
and it even detects all the hardware, properly.
:hug:
plus, it still runs that Older Hardware, quite well, when some other Linux System's don't .. .
:eek:

uncle mark

#18 Post by uncle mark »

lonesomepoint wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:50 am(The only reason I quit using MEPIS, in early 2011, is because KDE had adopted that Plasma Desktop thing. I promptly dumped KDE and MEPIS.)
<pedant>
Mepis never used Plasma. Plasma is what they call KDE5. M12b, the last iteration of Mepis, used KDE4.
</pedant>
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

lonesomepoint

#19 Post by lonesomepoint »

uncle mark wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:55 am
lonesomepoint wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:50 am(The only reason I quit using MEPIS, in early 2011, is because KDE had adopted that Plasma Desktop thing. I promptly dumped KDE and MEPIS.)
<pedant>
Mepis never used Plasma. Plasma is what they call KDE5. M12b, the last iteration of Mepis, used KDE4.
</pedant>
I stand corrected. KDE 4. I thought KDE 4 = Plasma Desktop.

lonesomepoint

#20 Post by lonesomepoint »

Pierre wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:14 am the MX system does install really well, & it looks really nice,,
and it even detects all the hardware, properly.
:hug:
plus, it still runs that Older Hardware, quite well, when some other Linux System's don't .. .
:eek:
Yes, and when it doesn't run some older hardware, the MX team will probably correct that eventually...

Return to “General”