#1 Post by Sparky »

MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: How to help the Linux Community with no coding

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

That is nice...and it links to our Contribute page!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Sparky

#3 Post by Sparky »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm That is nice...and it links to our Contribute page!
Yes, that's the first link I checked :happy:
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

MCreaves

#4 Post by MCreaves »

The big problem with Linux, in general, is few people even know it exists. Those who do but don't use it presume it's "too hard to use" or they use software that doesn't run on Linux (games, for example, thanks game devs). I've gone back and forth between Windows and Linux (many different distros) over the past almost twenty years. The biggest gripe I hear from new Linux users is "how difficult it is" to use/learn. This is one reason I love MX. I decided to try it recently instead of my usual Debian Stable and it's rather nice. Easy to use and lots of room for tinkering. Very easy on resources and does the job. A lot of nice touches. It has quickly become my favorite distro. I used to be a fan of Ubuntu before they made some silly changes that made everything harder to use. Then I switched to Ubuntu derivs. Then I ended up on Debian, which is a pain to setup, but rock solid once you do. Then I went back to Windows for various reasons, then ditched Windows again due to "update issues" (a few updates failed to install and apparently they couldn't be disabled and were needed for future updates and tech support was useless and I finally got tired of spending a half hour to reboot every time).

/rant

Ease of access, ease of use, lots of clear documentation, a helpful community, and a stable distro will do wonders for helping the Linux community as a whole. Every distro does something unique, but every distro has their issues. Users can indeed help, but the average user needs something they don't have issues with daily or a distro that takes a whole day to setup. MX seems to be a very nice balance. I'm actively trying to learn more about it so I can be of help.

Return to “General”