Installed mx-18.2 on EeePc X101H

otherleft

Installed mx-18.2 on EeePc X101H

#1 Post by otherleft »

hello all.

i hope this is the right place to put this. please move it if there is a better place for this post.

i am new to Mx and as the title says i installed Mx on an old Eeepc. i recently came into possession of this netbook with Windows 7 Starter already installed. i read around, saw the article on Dedoimedo and it seemed promising. however there wasn't a lot of explanation on the partitioning part, which was where i was most worried about. i read some more, thought about creating an account here and asking for help and info. but then i figured why not just go for it. if it breaks, i'll just delete everything and start again.

so that's what i did. after some more reading i just went for it. and the installation was surprisingly... anticlimactic. i mean it just... installed. no incident of any kind.

here are the steps i took to install Mx on my EeePc:

Asus EeePC X101H. Ram 2Gb. Hdd 320Gb.

- download iso: MX-18.2_386.iso
- make bootable live usb using Rufus.
- boot into live usb. make the usb persistent using F5 menu: persist_static.
- open Gparted. Checkout existing partitions. already exist 4 primary partitions.
-- sda1 100gb, windows c:
-- sda2 15gb, recovery?
-- sda3 183gb, windows d:
-- sda4 16mb, EFI partition, for Asus Boot Booster?

- repartition the hdd:
-- delete sda3 and make new extended partition.
-- reboot. make sure windows still works.
-- reboot into live usb. in gparted, create new logical partitions for "/" (sda5, 10g, ext4), "home" (sda6, 10g, ext4) and "swap" (sda7, 2g).
-- reboot. make sure windows still ok.

- reboot into live usb. run mx installer on the desktop.
- follow instructions. pretty straight forward. install root into sda5, home into sda6, swap into sda7.
- set timezone. what is LOCAL? did not check the box. hmmm...
- did not set samba. not using. set username and password for user and root.
- DONE. install took about 15mins.

now that Mx is installed, i made an account on this forum and here we are. not all is bright and sunny though, there are still some things i need to work out. namely:
- battery notification always says Discharging (100%) and never goes down.
- the preferred way to update. is it Mx Updater, Synaptic or good ol sudo apt-get update?
- keyboard shortcuts. the menu keeps coming up even if i press a shortcut for something else like Super+T for thunar.

so i'm new to Mx. heard lots of good things and so far i'm liking it. i fully expect there to be more bumps in the road. that's part of the process. hopefully someone will find this useful.

were there any steps that i should not have done? or you would have done differently?

thanks for reading.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Installed mx-18.2 on EeePc X101H

#2 Post by fehlix »

otherleft wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:37 pm - keyboard shortcuts. the menu keeps coming up even if i press a shortcut for something else like Super+T for thunar.
Welcome to the Forum.
As I do use the left Super-key (aka Windows-key) for other keybindings, I have re-bound xfce4-popup-whiskermenu to another key (the Menu-key) on my external USB-keyboard using
Settings -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Any method of updating that you list will work, but the notifier is the most convenient, IMO.

otherleft

#4 Post by otherleft »

fehlix wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:57 pm Welcome to the Forum.
As I do use the left Super-key (aka Windows-key) for other keybindings, I have re-bound xfce4-popup-whiskermenu to another key (the Menu-key) on my external USB-keyboard using
Settings -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts.
:puppy:
hi fehlix. thanks for the reply.
that sounds easy enough. i didn't even think about modifying the Super key itself. for now i've changed it to Super+space for the whisker menu.
i remember when using linux years ago this didn't seem to be a problem. i can use Super key for the menu while also using Super+other key for for something else without the menu popping up. do you know how to do this?
Stevo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:35 pm Any method of updating that you list will work, but the notifier is the most convenient, IMO.
hi Stevo. thanks for replying.
since installing i've done one update and so far so good. still need to read up on sources.list and some other stuff. its been a long time since i've used linux i might as well be a first timer.

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

otherleft wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am i remember when using linux years ago this didn't seem to be a problem. i can use Super key for the menu while also using Super+other key for for something else without the menu popping up. do you know how to do this?
IDK, if Super is bound to Whisker it will always trigger to popup whisker mneu, even if additonal keybound exists. As I'm only use the mouse to open the menu I havn't look into this much.
otherleft wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am still need to read up on sources.list and some other stuff.
MX Repo Manager is a good place to adjust the source-list's by selecting other mirror.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

otherleft

#6 Post by otherleft »

fehlix wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:37 am MX Repo Manager is a good place to adjust the source-list's by selecting other mirror.
wow. i didn't even know there was an Mx Repo Manager. i'll check it out. thank you.

Return to “General”