Firefox disabling add ons!

Arjen

Re: Firefox disabling add ons!

#21 Post by Arjen »

Enabling "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" under Preferences > Privacy & Security > Firefox Data Collection and Use, as described on the Mozila forum and mentioned by ChrisUK above, worked for me. I just waited until the extensions re-enabled themselves and then disabled the option again. :-) Thanks for mentioning, Chris!
HP Probook 4310s - Intel Core2 Duo T6670, 8GB memory, Intel GMA 4500MHD grapics, Intel wifi

GuiGuy

#22 Post by GuiGuy »

timkb4cq wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 pm Mozilla hasn't released a fixed version yet.
You always have the option of installing firefox-esr and using that until Mozilla fixes things.
Thanks Tim. :happy:

dreamer

#23 Post by dreamer »

Regarding Firefox ESR. From Pale Moon forum.
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=20
About ESRs the Verge article says:
The fix that’s being rolled out won’t apply to Firefox ESR or Firefox for Android, and Mozilla says that it’s working to release a patch there as well.
I don't use my 52.9 ESR that much, but it got hit and it's annoying that some of the add-ons could be disabled remotely. Some people on ghacks gave advice how to turn that off, but for now I'll wait with that until they fixed their mess.

I guess the "Studies" method won't work for FF 52 ESR and legacy add-ons. *) anyway (because no studies)

uncle mark

#24 Post by uncle mark »

timkb4cq wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 pm Mozilla hasn't released a fixed version yet.
You always have the option of installing firefox-esr and using that until Mozilla fixes things.
My SOP is to use firefox-esr and pin it. If it ain't broke it don't need fixing.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

uncle mark

#25 Post by uncle mark »

uncle mark wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:33 pm
My SOP is to use firefox-esr and pin it. If it ain't broke it don't need fixing.
I am now experiencing this Firefox fubar in a load of Mint with Fx ESR 52 which has been pinned. That's messed up.

uncle mark

#26 Post by uncle mark »

uncle mark wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
uncle mark wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:33 pm
I am now experiencing this Firefox fubar in a load of Mint with Fx ESR 52 which has been pinned. That's messed up.
And this fixed it:

Code: Select all

Yeah, the problem is described at
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkhtv8/heres_whats_going_on_with_your_addons_being/
along with a temporary workaround (temporarily toggle
xpinstall.signatures.required to false in about:config, but remember to
set it to "true" again once a fix is in place since it disables
signature checking).

Mauser

#27 Post by Mauser »

I am experience the same problem with most of my extensions not working in Firefox. Is there a fix in plain English?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

uncle mark

#28 Post by uncle mark »

Mauser wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:38 pm I am experience the same problem with most of my extensions not working in Firefox. Is there a fix in plain English?
"temporarily toggle xpinstall.signatures.required to false in about:config"

Open a new tab, type about:config
Search for xpinstall
Double click on xpinstall.signatures.required
That should change the value to false
Restart Firefox

Mauser

#29 Post by Mauser »

uncle mark wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:00 pm
Mauser wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:38 pm I am experience the same problem with most of my extensions not working in Firefox. Is there a fix in plain English?
"temporarily toggle xpinstall.signatures.required to false in about:config"

Open a new tab, type about:config
Search for xpinstall
Double click on xpinstall.signatures.required
That should change the value to false
Restart Firefox
I just tried that and it doesn't work. When I try to re-install uBlock Origin it gives me an error message. "Download failed. Please check your connection." There is nothing wrong with my connection.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Mauser

#30 Post by Mauser »

I hope this vanishing addons issue can be resolved.

Return to “General”