[Solved]Guest add-on Virtualbox |

JRElland

[Solved]Guest add-on Virtualbox |

#1 Post by JRElland »

Hi,
thank you for this excellent distribution I have downloaded (MX Linux 18.2) and tested with VirtualBox v6.0.6 (and its extension pack).

But, I cannot obtain a full screen (even with the short keys) and I don't see where the MX Linux guest add-ons are.
(Please, note I am used to do it with other distribs)

Thank you for any information
(files or command line).

Best Regards, José
On HP 14 Pavilion, W8.2, 12 Gio.
Last edited by JRElland on Sat May 04, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRElland

Re: Guest add-on Virtualbox |

#2 Post by JRElland »

I answer me :)

Seen in the French documentation...
Pack d’extensions. Vous devriez télécharger et installer le Pack d’extensions d’Oracle VM 
VirtualBox
 depuis le site web d’Oracle (voir Liens). Après avoir téléchargé le fichier, naviguez 
jusqu’à lui grâce à Thunar et cliquez sur l’icône du fichier. Le Pack d’extensions ouvrira VirtualBox 
et s’installera automatiquement. 

Which synthetically means Select Thunar in the Oracle VM Virtualbox extension Pack.

I will try :)

See you soon
Take care, José
From France

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

MX ships with the guest modules already built-in, but they are version 5.2.24.
You could try updating to the 6.0.6 versions of virtualbox-guest-dkms and virtualbox-guest-utils in MX by using the MX test repo section in the MX Package Installer. The other way is add the virtual guest addition CD that's part of the Oracle deb to MX, navigate to it, and run the installer with

Code: Select all

sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

Stevo wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:44 pm MX ships with the guest modules already built-in, but they are version 5.2.24.
You could try updating to the 6.0.6 versions of virtualbox-guest-dkms and virtualbox-guest-utils in MX by using the MX test repo section in the MX Package Installer. The other way is add the virtual guest addition CD that's part of the Oracle deb to MX, navigate to it, and run the installer with

Code: Select all

sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
updating to the 6.0.6 versions of virtualbox-guest-dkms and virtualbox-guest-utils
I installed these from the test repo as well as virtualbox, virtualbox-qt andvirtualboxextensionpak and it all works.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JRElland

#5 Post by JRElland »

Hi @stevo and @richb,
thank you for your feedback.
It works now.

My last issue was my keyboard which was not in French (I think I did it during the initial setup).
By the way, can we reopen this initial setting screen?

Thank you for your reactivity.

I think I am going to write a post to my friends who think MX Linux is to small to be reactive :).

Thank you again
Have a nice Easter weekend.

JRElland
From France.

BitJam
Developer

#6 Post by BitJam »

JRElland wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:37 amI think I am going to write a post to my friends who think MX Linux is to small to be reactive :).
We can respond quickly because we are small! As our popularity grows I'm not certain we can keep it up, but we are sure going to try! Depending on what kind of support you need, there can be a lag during certain times of the day/night because most of our devs are in the US.

For many years I have suggested that people should choose their distro based on the support forums. I still think that's true.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

JRElland wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:37 am My last issue was my keyboard which was not in French (I think I did it during the initial setup).
By the way, can we reopen this initial setting screen?
You can change keyboard preferences in Settings/Settings Manager.

Happy Easter to you too!
Last edited by JayM on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

BitJam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:09 am
JRElland wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:37 amI think I am going to write a post to my friends who think MX Linux is to small to be reactive :).
We can respond quickly because we are small! As our popularity grows I'm not certain we can keep it up, but we are sure going to try! Depending on what kind of support you need, there can be a lag during certain times of the day/night because most of our devs are in the US.

For many years I have suggested that people should choose their distro based on the support forums. I still think that's true.
I agree. Good support is a major part of any distro.

Re: availability of devs, that's why I try to help people out as much as I'm capable of doing because I live in Asia and am on the computer on most days at the time when most Westerners are sleeping. Even if I can't solve peoples' complex problems or issues with hardware that I don't own I at least try to get them to post enough information so that when Those Smarter Than I come on the forum they'll perhaps have enough data to be able to suggest solutions sooner than they might otherwise.

The MX Forum reminds me of the early days of Linux when all, or most, support took place in the comp.os.linux news group in Usenet. I was so thrilled one time when after posting a "how do I...?" question about a particular thing my question was answered by that thing's very developer himself! MX devs remind me of that, taking time to personally support their product(s) on an individual case-by-case basis. You don't see that very often, especially for the big distros or commercial distros: support is provided by help desk staff or by peers in the community to free the dev's time for more devving. This is good, but also bad in that developers are insulated from the troubles and problems that people out in The World are having with their products, and from suggestions that end-users may have.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JRElland

#9 Post by JRElland »

@BitJam
@JayM
Thank for this honest feedback :)
I did my post (In French) http://www.icaunux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1291

@JayM,
I spent some time in China, the longest period was 3 months in Xian. Wonderful time while I was discovering and learning Chinese culture and language.
I bought a PC over there (A Great Wall!)... It turns to be not a good deal! I think I will put MX Linux on it soon :).

@to all.
I do not have a deep knowledge of Linux and its distribs. I am not a dev, more an advanced user :).
Now, I am retired and I would love to go deeper. I do not have this experience with a distribution (and a team project like this). Please, note I love to translate... advanced documentation in order to know deeply a technology/topic and to promote it (I did it in my job as technical sales manager :) )
My native language is French and I am quite good at English (less with American regarding some local accents).

My first contact and feeling with MX Linux were very good :). I was wondering if it is possible I join the translation team (For French).
I could learn more from backstage.

Please note I am now a part-time consultant (sole-trader). But this should not interfere with MX Linux activities :).

Thank you again for your feedback.

Take care -

José RELland from France.

JRElland

#10 Post by JRElland »

Hi JayM, thank you for this feedback.
JayM wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:14 am You can change keyboard preferences in Settings/Settings Manager.
Oh yes, I did it.

So my understanding is we cannot replay this initial screen :).

Take care, José

Return to “General”