VPNs and MX

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: VPNs and MX

#11 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ludolph wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:20 am NordVPN is one of best, but just few days ago they upgraded their very sophisticated CLI tool to version 3.0 and stoped sysVinit support.

This fact is a bit scary, because sooner or latter will be necessary use systemd to be compatible with all that new apps.
so can you start the daemon manually on sysVinit systems

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/sbin/nordvpnsd &
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

mr_dashi

#12 Post by mr_dashi »

Whoops!

st-hc@mx:~
$ sudo /usr/sbin/nordvpnsd &
[1] 4264
st-hc@mx:~
$ nordvpn connect
Whoops! Cannot reach User Daemon.

[1]+  Stopped                 sudo /usr/sbin/nordvpnsd

Mauser

#13 Post by Mauser »

I have been using Astrill VPN for the past 3 years. SystemD not required. It also has a graphical installer which makes it easy to install. None to little speed hit.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

ludolph

#14 Post by ludolph »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:53 pm
so can you start the daemon manually on sysVinit systems

sudo /usr/sbin/nordvpnsd &
Obviously not... Whoops error message!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#15 Post by JayM »

Question: do any of the recommended VPNs allow port forwarding so you can make a server of some sort accessible by people on the Internet? I'm asking because the public, routable IP address that my router's getting from my ISP isn't the same as the one shown by, for example, whatismyip.com so they must have a NAT firewall on their end, because none of the ports I'm forwarding in my router test as being open.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

bassplayer69

#16 Post by bassplayer69 »

I use unlocator (OpenVPN) and their SmartDNS entries. No need for client software.
"The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell." - Ronnie James Dio
Linux Registered User #450992 (defunct)

AVLinux

#17 Post by AVLinux »

Hi,

I use Speedify, in addition to being a VPN it allows me to bridge 2 connections together (ie wifi and ethernet or wifi and cell data) which is important for me living in a rural area with both dodgy cell data and point to point wireless. At this point in time it requires systemd which doesn't really bother me as long as MX offers the choice. I've never asked any of the sysvinit wizards here to look into whether there could be a sysvinit workaround script worked up. They have a Linux repository for the graphical part of it and it is updated and improved frequently.

CharlesV
Global Moderator

#18 Post by CharlesV »

JayM wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:24 am Question: do any of the recommended VPNs allow port forwarding so you can make a server of some sort accessible by people on the Internet? I'm asking because the public, routable IP address that my router's getting from my ISP isn't the same as the one shown by, for example, whatismyip.com so they must have a NAT firewall on their end, because none of the ports I'm forwarding in my router test as being open.
@JayM I know Private Internet Access supports port forwarding. And so does PureVPN
*QSI = Quick System Info from menu (Copy for Forum)
*MXPI = MX Package Installer
*Please check the solved checkbox on the post that solved it.
*Linux -This is the way!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#19 Post by JayM »

Thanks @CharlesV. They allow forwarding one port and I need two or three, not sure yet. I think that when the time comes I'll go with AirVPN. Their pricing seems comparable to other VPNs at €99 for 3 years, they let you forward up to 20 ports, and there's no client software needed: I can just set up their VPN in my router which has DD-WRT on it.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

CharlesV
Global Moderator

#20 Post by CharlesV »

Yup that works. That is one of the best things I like about PIA .. it goes in EASY to my pfsense units.

I have found that build a true VPN ( ie one you control and creates *your* virtual ) around what ever "VPN" product is being used works really well for most people and depending upon how you need to it you can port into it and go around anything. (Make life far easier for me too to remote in too !)
*QSI = Quick System Info from menu (Copy for Forum)
*MXPI = MX Package Installer
*Please check the solved checkbox on the post that solved it.
*Linux -This is the way!

Return to “General”