MX Linux 18.2 World of Warcraft screen tearing Help Please *SOLVED*

WyCKyD

MX Linux 18.2 World of Warcraft screen tearing Help Please *SOLVED*

#1 Post by WyCKyD »

Code: Select all

System:    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 
           Distro: MX-18.2_x64 Continuum Feb 9  2019 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) v: 1.0 
           serial: <root required> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 2.20 date: 10/27/2017 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i3-8100 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 801 3: 800 4: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 390.87 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.87 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-3: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-1-amd64 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 30:9c:23:84:20:99 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 4.09 TiB used: 96.15 GiB (2.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT1000MX500SSD4 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Hitachi model: HUA722020ALA331 size: 1.82 TiB 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Seagate model: ST31500541AS size: 1.36 TiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.79 TiB used: 96.15 GiB (5.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 39 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 0% 
Info:      Processes: 210 Uptime: 2h 08m Memory: 15.63 GiB used: 1.60 GiB (10.2%) Shell: bash 
           inxi: 3.0.33 
New MX Linux 18.2 user and not sure where else to go for assistance to this issue. I installed BattleNet and World of Warcraft 8.1.5 through Play On Linux. The wine configuration for the container is Wine 4.5 Staging, using Windows 7. There is an attached image of the results so far of getting WoW to play. I have searched through the forums and online to no avail, with this issue. I just want to play as smooth as possible on Linux and once and for all get away from windows. Any and all help or suggestions are really appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read and address this issue.
WyCKyD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by WyCKyD on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The thing with Linux is that the developers themselves are actually customers too: that has always been an important part of Linux. - Linus Torvalds

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: MX Linux 18.2 World of Warcraft screen tearing Help Please

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Does this help:

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
If it does then make it permanent by adding an Xorg configuration file as described in the ArchWiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV ... en_tearing
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

Sometimes changing Compositors helps with screen tearing: ie. xfwm to compton...
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Eggnog

#4 Post by Eggnog »

This simple autostart command has always fixed any screen tearing issues I've had with nVidia. Don't know if it will help you but maybe it's worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ojAdu8_DI

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

To save the OP four and a bit minutes:
Eggnog wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:27 am This simple autostart command
That's the same command as I have already posted :happy:

Note that an Xorg configuration file will apply to any and all desktops (and to all display managers as well, not that it is needed there) but the autostart command will only work for desktops that comply with the XDG autostart specification.

But as these are the MX forums and MX runs the XFCE desktop (which does comply) then I'm probably just nit-picking unnecessarily here :bagoverhead:
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Eggnog

#6 Post by Eggnog »

Oops.

WyCKyD

#7 Post by WyCKyD »

Hello and thank you all for the suggestions and help. I am still having the issue, and I have tried the above.
The
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
suggestion, only makes my desktop, not show at all. I tried to reboot to let the settings take and I get to the background of the login screen (I believe it is the login screen) with no chance to login and the mouse is present. I had to drop to a console and disable the lightdm so that I could retrieve the backup of xorg.conf then restart the lightdm to be able to get back to the desktop.

I also tried the autostart, to no avail.

I will keep trying. Not sure why this is being so difficult.
Thanks,
WyCKyD
The thing with Linux is that the developers themselves are actually customers too: that has always been an important part of Linux. - Linus Torvalds

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

Do you get similar artifacts in another free program in Wine like Space Engine?

WyCKyD

#9 Post by WyCKyD »

I haven't tried, because the only really intensive games that I play are World of Warcraft and GRID Autosport. To tell the truth, I've never heard of Space Engine. I will try it and report back.
Thanks,
WyCKyD

Edit: Just tried Space Engine and there are absolutely no artifacts. *scratches head trying to think*

WyCKyD

Re: MX Linux 18.2 World of Warcraft screen tearing Help Please *SOLVED*

#10 Post by WyCKyD »

I just wanted to say that through all of the suggestions and help, I have been able to solve the issue with the artifacts. Below is an image with what solved this issue for me.
I turned the Post Processing Anti Aliasing to None (was originally CMAA).
Thank you to a great community and to everyone who helped me to solve this issue.
WyCKyD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General”