Dedoimedo Praises MX-18 on His 10-year-old EeePC Netbook

Adrian
Developer

Re: MX Reviews

#1 Post by Adrian »

That's correct, a regular update would bring the updated antix keyring.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Just worth remembering and stating again: Dedo says congrats to the MX Team, but at least half of that should go to the antiX Team for the excellent hardware performance on older machines like this.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

GuiGuy

#3 Post by GuiGuy »

Dedo's eeepc seems to perform amazingly well: which version is it?

GuiGuy

#4 Post by GuiGuy »

Bluesguy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:22 pm @GuiGuy
Here's the link to Dedo's original post ...https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/eeepc.html ...
Thanks, Bluesguy.

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

Bluesguy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:23 pm...... he disabled the antiX Repo after his installation because of signing-key error ... I emailed to say that the Repo was an integral part of the OS and that his first update should have taken care of the key error ... recommended that he should re-enable. Hope I was correct ... just checking ...
Thanks for the heads up on the review. Hadn't visited his site for a while.

It's good you let him know, otherwise he would be missing updates to packages that come from the antiX repo. And it's the antiX secret sauce that keeps MX light and fast.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

sunrat

#6 Post by sunrat »

I got my old EeePC 900 (older than Dedo's with a Celeron CPU) going recently with an Antix install. Still a bit flaky with the function keys and the battery is almost toast. Seems to work OK for music and video, and light web browsing. Reading that #7 link from Bluesguy got me remembering about EeePC Control of which the latest version is ~5 years old and built for Ubuntu anyway. But I was surprised to find eeepc-acpi-scripts is available in sid repo! Must try it in Antix. I recall using it when I had MX-14 installed and it makes some of the function keys work.

Adrian
Developer

Re: Dedoimedo Praises MX-18 on His 10-year-old EeePC Netbook

#7 Post by Adrian »

There are two solutions at distro level:
1. when you run a update (manually or automatically) the update antix keyring is downloaded -- no need to visit the forum or do anything special
2. we released 18.2 that has the updated key

"shouldn't happen" -- yeah we agree, but for example Google key just expired, it "shouldn't happen" but sometimes it does.

etles-team

#8 Post by etles-team »

I installed MX 18.2 on Axioo Neon Intel Dual Core 32-bit 4GB RAM without problem and running smooth :)

Adrian
Developer

#9 Post by Adrian »

his action disabling the antix Repo as a precaution
That's the error, there's no need for "precaution" if a repo doesn't have a key nothing is pulled automatically from there, once the key would have been updated from MX repo everything would have resume nicely without needing any manual intervention. Sometimes users "improve" things and those things end up needing to be fixed...

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

This was just a human administrative oversight which happens from time to time on other distros as well, eg Manjaro, void, solus. For the last 2 distros, it was worse as the main dev could not be contacted and was not involved in the project any longer but had not made arrangements for a proper handover of the necessary info or distro resources etc.

Key expiry just occurred in respect of Google Chrome repos as well, as was mentioned above.

Of course no one wants mistakes to happen, but they do and what is important is how people act to rectify it.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “General”