Error reporting number of files?

crazysquirrel

Error reporting number of files?

#1 Post by crazysquirrel »

I right clicked on a 4TB external HD that only had 3TB on it.
The report said a little over 768,000 file son it.

But I do not have anywhere NEAR that many files.

Just movies.

What's the deal??

A quick check and the grand total amount of movies ever made is a tiny bit over 500K.

I might have about 600 or so total.
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

Adrian
Developer

Re: Error reporting number of files?

#2 Post by Adrian »

You can run something like this in CLI to get more info:

Code: Select all

for i in $(find . -maxdepth 1 -type d) ; do echo -n $i": " ;  (find $i -type f | wc -l) ; done
cd to the root folder of your drive and run this code, it should print out the subfolders and the number of files in each subfolder then you can drill down and cd to the largest folder and run the code again.

Another useful tool is "tree" you can install and run it in CLI.

crazysquirrel

#3 Post by crazysquirrel »

(twitching like scrat the squirrel in morbid fear of using command line).
OK will try that when I get home later.

With the exception of TV series'. most of my folders have the movie or show and sometimes an srt file.

TV series' might have 10 to 100 in them but I only have about 20 of those folders.
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

That's a good example of what GUI and command lines are good at... while I get that command line can be intimidating it can give you a lot of info in a command the GUI alternative would be to go to each sub-folder write down the number of files and then add them up (I mean, you could right-click on each subfolder, see which one has an abnormal number of files and then drill down to its sub-folders and see what is going on -- but even that is more time consuming than a quick oneliner).

Since I don't know what you have on that disk, I cannot tell you if 768,000 files is wrong or "too much" you have to see in which sub-folder the majority of those files reside (it might be a file system problem, maybe the files are in something like lost&found folder, but you still need to see where the problem is to have a better idea of what is going on).

crazysquirrel

#5 Post by crazysquirrel »

ONE folder had well over 40K files in it.... sheesh.
Another 7K but when I looked it only have like 50 or so movies in it.

crazysquirrel

#6 Post by crazysquirrel »

768K files is too much for about 500 movies or so.

I looked into some of the folders with large numbers of files in them. They do NOT show me squat.

You have 50 movies and yet it says I have 7K files?

something not right....

Return to “General”