a strange problem with the GUI video sliding

lonesomepoint

a strange problem with the GUI video sliding

#1 Post by lonesomepoint »

Since it just happened a little while ago, I should mention an odd problem I have had at random times for several years. I do not know whether it's properly an MX problem (because MX is my only distro), an XFCE problem, my computer's problem, or something else. I use various Thinkpad Txxxs (T61, T400, T420), and on all of them, if I touch a certain key or key combination, the video on the screen starts sliding in response to the mouse cursor's movement. I have never been able to identify what key or key combination; can't reproduce the error on purpose. I never happen to be looking directly at the keyboard when it occurs. All I've been able to notice is that my fingers have been somewhere near the upper keys. But when the video begins to slide, I have no idea how to freeze it back in its proper position--except by logging out and back in. That resets the video to normal. Sorry if this descruption isn't helpful enough. Perhaps I should try to record a video.

Has this ever happened for anyone else, whether on Thinkpad Txxx or another computer?

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: a strange problem with the GUI video sliding

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Definitely try to record a short video when this happens.. how weird!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

Re: a strange problem with the GUI video sliding

#3 Post by j2mcgreg »

I found an reported instance of your problem and a solution on a Fedora site:
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/questi ... fedora-21/

The gist is that it's a bug where the zoom function in Gnome can cause weird behaviour in the Focus function. Adapting the solution to XFCE, here's what I think you should do:

Open MX Tools --> click on Tweak --> click on Window Manager (at the bottom) --> click on Focus --> and if Focus Follows Mouse has been selected, deselect it.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

Return to “General”