How privacy conscious is the MX community?

mystic

How privacy conscious is the MX community?

#1 Post by mystic »

Hi just wondering how privacy conscious are you guys? Do you use open source software from top to bottom?

How about your phones, custom ROMs?

- As for me I use open source all the way on my MX.

- My phone has LineageOS with mirog for google maps as its the only proprietary software that I use because OpenMaps sucks where I live.

- Have system76 laptop with Intel ME disabled by default.

- And oh yeah, I don't trust systemd :lipsrsealed:

Adrian
Developer

Re: How privacy conscious is the MX community?

#2 Post by Adrian »

What does systemd have to do with privacy?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

This does not belong in a Forum named "Fun" so am going to move it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

mystic

#4 Post by mystic »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 pm What does systemd have to do with privacy?
I know its free software but its too big of a code to audit. Am I right on that ?

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

mystic wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:57 pm
Adrian wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 pm What does systemd have to do with privacy?
I know its free software but its too big of a code to audit. Am I right on that ?
There's no such thing, one could claim that Linux itself is too big to audit. Either everything can be reasonably audited or nothing (other than 2 lines of code) could be audited, sound like a lot of FUD to me directed to systemd. And even if you cannot audit it it doesn't mean there's a privacy issue with it... good grief...

mystic

#6 Post by mystic »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm
mystic wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:57 pm
There's no such thing, one could claim that Linux itself is too big to audit. Either everything can be reasonably audited or nothing (other than 2 lines of code) could be audited, sound like a lot of FUD to me directed to systemd. And even if you cannot audit it it doesn't mean there's a privacy issue with it... good grief...
I see, well then count me corrected :happy:
Last edited by mystic on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mauser

#7 Post by Mauser »

I am privacy conscious and try to use open source software when possible. Unfortunately I am not a multimillionaire that can afford custom hardware and software. I find LineageOS to be a farce since it's not available for my Android phone. No matter what phone and OS you use on it your cell phone carries still knows your location. I do modify the browsers I use, run a host file, and Astrill VPN in stealth mode. As for system 76 it's too expensive.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

mystic

#8 Post by mystic »

Mauser wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:14 pm I am privacy conscious and try to use open source software when possible. Unfortunately I am not a multimillionaire that can afford custom hardware and software. I find LineageOS to be a farce since it's not available for my Android phone. No matter what phone and OS you use on it your cell phone carries still knows your location. I do modify the browsers I use, run a host file, and Astrill VPN in stealth mode. As for system 76 it's too expensive.
Yes, there are expensive compared to regular OEMs but I still think 76's offerings are more affordable than Purism's. As for the LOS, they do support as many hardware as they can where the bootloader can be unlocked.

Mauser

#9 Post by Mauser »

mystic wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:21 pm
Mauser wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:14 pm I am privacy conscious and try to use open source software when possible. Unfortunately I am not a multimillionaire that can afford custom hardware and software. I find LineageOS to be a farce since it's not available for my Android phone. No matter what phone and OS you use on it your cell phone carries still knows your location. I do modify the browsers I use, run a host file, and Astrill VPN in stealth mode. As for system 76 it's too expensive.
Yes, there are expensive compared to regular OEMs but I still think 76's offerings are more affordable than Purism's. As for the LOS, they do support as many hardware as they can where the bootloader can be unlocked.
Yes, that's true but System 76 is still too expensive for me. That is not so because the bootloader can be unlocked on my LG phone and I asked if they have LinageOS for my phone and was told no. They also have no listing for my phone. I wish a true GNU/Linux O.S. for smart phones would come out. I heard KDE is working on one. Only time will tell. I hate that Spyware from Google called Android. What I also hate when people claim Android is Linux. Google took the Linux kernel and bastardized it to the point that it doesn't resemble GNU/Linux.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

zorzi

#10 Post by zorzi »

Well, I try to avoid Google (Chrome, Gmail etc.), Facebook, Microsoft (Skype...) on my Desktop.

Since I have a smartphone since a few months, I plan to remove Android and install LineageOS (I'm not very trained with that...).

Return to “General”