How privacy conscious is the MX community?

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: How privacy conscious is the MX community?

#11 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I use chrome, gmail, facebook, skype, android.. you name it.

Not concerned. Nobody is interested in me, nor in any other regular user.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:35 pm I use chrome, gmail, facebook, skype, android.. you name it.

I am of a like mind Eadwine. But I think you are very interesting!
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#13 Post by Eadwine Rose »

OK.. I stand corrected. ONE person is interested in me.. Do I need to be concerned now? ;)

But yeah.. you know what I mean.. the "big fish" out there don't care about little me.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

wulf

#14 Post by wulf »

My efforts on privacy for myself is mostly about browsing the web without being inconvenienced by unwanted adverts or overlays or the other plethora of annoyances that have come to blight internet usage. To that end, I customise the configuration files of the browser and use extensions such as Ublock origin/Umatrix etc to limit and control how a given webpage displays. I'm also mindful that there are some devious people out there that like to hack others, so I do what I can to make sure that my connection and pc is secure. I do use open source software wherever possible, but I have a couple of apps that aren't, which I have confidence in, having used them for some years without ever hearing of, or discovering anything untoward. Using social media means abdicating a lot of your privacy in order for it to work as intended, so I don't use it. I doubt that true anonymity is achievable anymore. If a person was doing something nefarious that warranted the attention of the security services in a western country, I feel it's fairly likely that person would get busted sooner or later.

Zeh

#15 Post by Zeh »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:47 pm But yeah.. you know what I mean.. the "big fish" out there don't care about little me.
Eadwine, the big fish out there care about everything they can grab. Not about you, not about me, not about any little fish in particular, but about the use they may give to the info about internet/phone usage by the millions of little fish - and make money (huge amounts) with the info they can grab. How? Lots of people (businesses, to start with) are willing to pay a lot of money to anyone who give them the ability to direct advertising towards each and every little fish. Not to mention political propaganda, particularly before elections (but not only - let Americans tell about Trump's tweets, and anyone concerned over honesty in politics and in life in general about fake news, rumors disguised as news or not, etc.). The big fish have the tools to do that for their customers - the advertisers, business or political - Cambridge Analytica (among several other cases) let it absolutely clear.
This said, I try to avoid anything that comes from the insatiable big fish, but without making it a devotion. For instance, I do not use google search and gmail but, as long as there is no efficient alternative to google maps, I use google maps without any worries. I don't need/like facebook and other "social networks" (not saying that others should also dislike "social networks"). By using Linux and all open source software that comes with it, I don't need Microsoft. ;)

zorzi

#16 Post by zorzi »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:35 pm I use chrome, gmail, facebook, skype, android.. you name it.

Hi Eadwine,

I get your point. But though, if it doesn't matter to you, is this a reason to ignore the problem ?

I often hear that kind of thinking : "If I have nothing to hide, it does not matter if I'm spied".

alexjack

#17 Post by alexjack »

I think one of the main thing is to avoid software, particularly mobile apps, that abuse you by using addictive hooks to suck up your attention. I realize that this does imply to a degree that I think I can be one step ahead of app designers, which is highly questionable. However, I do think it's possible to a good extent.

Apart from that, we have a right not to be snooped on. However, choose your platform and don't have a mobile phone. I think mobile phones are just a lost cause because, even with a custom open source ROM, you don't own everything going on in that device. I have a mobile phone, but I don't entirely trust it. It's like salesman that I can't help but have a nice conversation with, but I have to keep reminding myself that he's not my buddy.

alexjack

#18 Post by alexjack »

Mauser wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:31 pm
mystic wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:21 pm
Mauser wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:14 pm I am privacy conscious and try to use open source software when possible. Unfortunately I am not a multimillionaire that can afford custom hardware and software. I find LineageOS to be a farce since it's not available for my Android phone. No matter what phone and OS you use on it your cell phone carries still knows your location. I do modify the browsers I use, run a host file, and Astrill VPN in stealth mode. As for system 76 it's too expensive.
Yes, there are expensive compared to regular OEMs but I still think 76's offerings are more affordable than Purism's. As for the LOS, they do support as many hardware as they can where the bootloader can be unlocked.
Yes, that's true but System 76 is still too expensive for me. That is not so because the bootloader can be unlocked on my LG phone and I asked if they have LinageOS for my phone and was told no. They also have no listing for my phone. I wish a true GNU/Linux O.S. for smart phones would come out. I heard KDE is working on one. Only time will tell. I hate that Spyware from Google called Android. What I also hate when people claim Android is Linux. Google took the Linux kernel and bastardized it to the point that it doesn't resemble GNU/Linux.
I agree, that Android is touted as some kind of victory for Linux seems very silly.

As for phones, no real options there. The Upcoming Librem 5 still will have a mainstream closed source baseband, but with a hardware switch that let's you know for sure that it is switched off when you switch it off.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#19 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Your access to this site has been limited

Your access to this service has been temporarily limited. Please try again in a few minutes. (HTTP response code 503)

Reason: Manual block by administrator
I don't sweat security much till I get notice and check out things. Myself.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#20 Post by Eadwine Rose »

zorzi wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:20 pm I often hear that kind of thinking : "If I have nothing to hide, it does not matter if I'm spied".
Now you are twisting my words. I never said that ;)

I am just not concerned.

Return to “General”