Two things missing from every Linux distro's

skidoo

Re: Two things missing from every Linux distro's

#21 Post by skidoo »

@chrispop99
Suppose I'm having trouble with ethernet. I run lspci and read
"Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)"
so, I visit the Hardware Database and search RTL8111/8168/8411
^---v

Mauser

#22 Post by Mauser »

:idea: The one thing evey Linux distro is missing is documentation that explains how to get GParted to recognize a hardware RAID 10 so you can install that distro. I have a RAID 10 showing in the BIOS but not in GParted. :confused:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

manyroads

#23 Post by manyroads »

I feel dumb mentioning it (again). :confused: The folks at Ubuntu do a nice job of qualifying hardware (see https://certification.ubuntu.com/). As we all know Canonical has more money than MX and most of the top 100 Distrowatch non-ubuntu based distros combined, excluding Red Hat... Suse. (I made those stats up, it's true.) :eek: The point is the Ubuntu certified hardware list combined with available refurbished PCs from Amazon, Dell, etc. provide a great universe of affordable and available Linux friendly hardware. :number1:

As for swag, it's easy to buy. zazzle, spreadshirt, cafepress will let you create your own, and sell it to you,too. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

dphn

#24 Post by dphn »

Another point.

When you configure and personalize your system you can easy take a snapshot of this with the MX snapshot tool. You are able to install this on all your hardware in a short time and you have all your apps included. Most hardware is supported native by the Linux kernel. A great advantage to Windows and the snapshot tool is a unique feature by antiX/MX and makes life easier.

Try this procedure with Windows. It's possible to do this with WAIK and such complicated tools. Last time I have done this with Windows 7, it costs a lot of time to make an unattended install of Windows systems and you can't deinstall the bloatware on Windows 10 systems. So I switched to Linux.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#25 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I use clonezilla for this on windows.. it works and thankfully it does because the HDD nearly died and I was able to make a good clone from within mx.. oof!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#26 Post by chrispop99 »

skidoo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm @chrispop99
Suppose I'm having trouble with ethernet. I run lspci and read
"Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)"
so, I visit the Hardware Database and search RTL8111/8168/8411
^---v

Indeed, but the proposal was to have a database of machines that worked with Linux, so it would be possible to buy one, and be sure it worked. Because you can never be sure which wireless card is in the laptop you buy before you buy it, such a database is of very limited use.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Bierhundt

#27 Post by Bierhundt »

@ gimcrack - This isn't meant to be a criticism or a flame about your post, it's just my opinion --- I don't know how many other computer illiterates like me that there are in the MX users community, but all that info that you are asking for wouldn't make a hill of beans to me. I try out a Linux distro, and if it is user-friendly and works on my Dell lappys (D600, D610, and E6400 along side Winblows 7, that's all I care about. When I have a problem that I can't fix, I use the forums to get answers. The devs could be using $5000 machines to work on, and again, it wouldn't make a hill of beans to me - I just want a distro that's dependable - for me that's MX and/or antiX. Ubuntu and Mint/Ubuntu don't work for me, every time I've tried them they crash, foul up my BrewTarget/BeerSmith so they are not my favorite Linux distros. I've used a lot of different distros, Debian, Arch, Slack, just to name a couple, and have been totally unsatisfied with their user-friendliness. To me, MX is just like the distro I liked above all else, Libranet, but when it went out of business, I started looking at others - Libranet was like MX " It just works!" That's my 2 centavos.

Stevo
Developer

#28 Post by Stevo »

MSI at least let me know what wi-fi chipset and most other hardware was going to be in the GP63 8RD on the Amazon page before we bought it, so I had a snapshot with the latest required kernel and added firmware (not yet in any Debian package) ready to install when I got it back in May. Now it just works right off with MX 18.

Here's the hardware report from the machine with MX 17 around Halloween 2018: https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=ec89febb0c Holy smokes, it's got a lot--even what zillion packages I had installed at the time.

It was created with this script: https://github.com/linuxhw/hw-probe

Hey, they have a deb now--let me install that with all the recommends and see what happens now.

https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=67b484c4a0

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

Well, that's worse than the old one. Let me update the ID database and try again:

Code: Select all

sudo update-pciids && sudo update-usbids
https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=81806a4ddd

Much better! I guess we shipped with the old Stretch hardware ID database--can Adrian's monthly ISOs update these, or can it be added to MX Tweak?

Return to “General”