Steam Play/Proton?

marlowe221

Steam Play/Proton?

#1 Post by marlowe221 »

Once some PC parts get delivered to my house, I plan to take my desktop over to Linux - preferably MX!

Is there anything special about Steam Play/Proton that means it wouldn't work very well with MX? They say they only support Ubuntu - is there anything going on with Steam that means Ubuntu is going to be the way to go for my desktop?

Hooten

Re: Steam Play/Proton?

#2 Post by Hooten »

Steam and Proton runs perfect on my system with MX.

marlowe221

#3 Post by marlowe221 »

Hooten wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:12 am Steam and Proton runs perfect on my system with MX.
Awesome. The more I read about it, the more I thought there was no reason it shouldn't work just fine in MX. I guess the LTS -buntus are what they are using for testing or something.

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

I think you still have to enable Proton in Steam Settings.

marlowe221

#5 Post by marlowe221 »

Adrian wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:59 am I think you still have to enable Proton in Steam Settings.
Right on. I was just wondering about the Ubuntu-oriented bent that Steam has and if it meant that you had to use one of the 'buntus to have a good experience. My laptop is on MX, of course. But my desktop is primarily a gaming rig, which I haven't migrated to Linux just yet, so I haven't had much chance to play around with Proton.

stevedude

#6 Post by stevedude »

I remember reading that an important factor is the Linux kernel that it is run on. I believe you have to have a later(latest)? kernel installed and it also depends upon the Graphics Card driver you run. I have a new system, AMD Ryzen, NVidia 1060GTX and I can't find one of my titles to run on Proton yet. Proton is enabled in Steam, it allows me to install the Windows version of games from my Windows games library in my MX 17 System, but no success yet.

I've tried a few of the Hitman series, F.E.A.R 3, and Betrayel so far and no luck. There is a list of games that I have seen that have been tested to work, but nothing in my library. So in case you had ideas of being able to play anything you want, that is not true yet.
OS:MX-19.2_x64|Kernel:4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64|Xfce 4.14.2|Mobo:TUF X470-PLUS|CPU AMD Ryzen 5, 2600 MHz
Graphics:GeForce GTX 1060,driver:nvidia v:390.77|Audio:NVIDIA snd_hda_intel
Netwrk:Realtek RTL8111|Seagate:ST2000DM006, 1.82 TB|Mem:15.6 GB

marlowe221

#7 Post by marlowe221 »

stevedude wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:25 pm I remember reading that an important factor is the Linux kernel that it is run on. I believe you have to have a later(latest)? kernel installed and it also depends upon the Graphics Card driver you run. I have a new system, AMD Ryzen, NVidia 1060GTX and I can't find one of my titles to run on Proton yet. Proton is enabled in Steam, it allows me to install the Windows version of games from my Windows games library in my MX 17 System, but no success yet.

I've tried a few of the Hitman series, F.E.A.R 3, and Betrayel so far and no luck. There is a list of games that I have seen that have been tested to work, but nothing in my library. So in case you had ideas of being able to play anything you want, that is not true yet.
Yeah, I've been going through my Steam library to check for compatibility under Proton. According to Protondb I'm in decent shape but.... I don't know. If my desktop weren't primarily a gaming machine I would have had it on Linux a long time ago.

It's going to have a Ryzen 5 2600X in it (hopefully this afternoon!) but I'm still going to run my current GTX 970.

Adrian
Developer

#8 Post by Adrian »

Fallout (New Vegas) seems to be working just fine. Didn't have a chance to play it yet, but it looks like image and control work OK.

stevedude

#9 Post by stevedude »

I didn't realize they had a protondb site - thanks for sharing that. Would've saved me some time if i had known. My titles are 'Borked", but I do have the Borderland Series so I'll try that. Seriously, I dual-boot into Windows 10 ONLY for gaming and if Proton can work with my titles, I'd leave Windows forever.
OS:MX-19.2_x64|Kernel:4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64|Xfce 4.14.2|Mobo:TUF X470-PLUS|CPU AMD Ryzen 5, 2600 MHz
Graphics:GeForce GTX 1060,driver:nvidia v:390.77|Audio:NVIDIA snd_hda_intel
Netwrk:Realtek RTL8111|Seagate:ST2000DM006, 1.82 TB|Mem:15.6 GB

marlowe221

#10 Post by marlowe221 »

Protondb is pretty new but it's database is growing fast.

Fortunately, a surprising number of my games on Steam actually have native Linux ports. I had no idea when I bought most of them but it's nice to discover it's the case. And Proton compatibility for most of the rest of them is pretty good.

But there are a couple of games that I play a lot that make me hesitate. Monster Hunter World, for instance, isn't working well on nvidia GPUs. So that's a bummer. I'm also a fan of Diablo-style ARPGs and it seems that almost NONE of them work well in Linux or have native ports.

Return to “General”