Ikey leaves Solus

manyroads

Ikey leaves Solus

#1 Post by manyroads »

Just in case you have not seen the article (post) regarding the massive changes at Solus:

https://getsol.us/2018/10/27/in-full-sail/
Last edited by manyroads on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

whell

Re: Ikkey leaves Solus

#2 Post by whell »

Not sure if he's "left" Solus. He was sick for a period of time, and then the Solus team lost touch with him. Hope he's OK.

Mauser

#3 Post by Mauser »

This is a great post that all distros should take note of so it doesn't happen to those distro development teams. Sounds like Ikkey was, is having medical issues. The development team structure for Solus was poorly set up because it had no redundancy of the entire development of Solus. It sounds like they corrected the redundancy issue so it doesn't happen again.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

sdibaja

#4 Post by sdibaja »

Ikey has been trying to make a go of it for quite some time.
building from a team of 1 is difficult, he has to take any work he can to continue to feed himself.
does anybody remember when he started his first distro based on Gnome2, shorty after Gnome abandoned it and restarted with Gnome 3?
that first distro was nice.

sorry he is ill.
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

Richard

#5 Post by Richard »

Yes, Ikey is a very talented engineer.
Doing it by yourself has taken a toll of many one-man distros.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

He's a bit of a restless soul and perfectionist. I don't know if he can ever settle down and tell himself something is fine the way it is and doesn't have to be totally rebuilt from the bottom up. Good thing that for Solus he did bring in a few other devs so it's not wholly dependent on him.

I hope he is ok and can come back to Solus in some capacity after taking a break to recover and rest. Like you said, he's very talented.

Solus forum has been down since last night, by the way. <== mistake. Sorry

My main concern is that I believe the rights to the name "Solus" belong to him. If he decides to be sticky about it, the distro may have to continue under a different name, losing all the reputation and recognition built up under the Solus name.

Apart from that I think the distro can continue with the rest of the devs once they take stock of the whole situation and sort out what to do next.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Buck Fankers

#7 Post by Buck Fankers »

whell wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 pm Not sure if he's "left" Solus. He was sick for a period of time, and then the Solus team lost touch with him. Hope he's OK.
Ikey, I hope you get better soon!

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by ChrisUK »

Just to fill in the gaps... from the "horses mouth":

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... pen-Letter
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Very like many other one-man distros...MEPIS to MX, or Crunchbang to its successors.

Return to “General”