MX-18

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX-18

#61 Post by Stevo »

Some new hardware also requires a newer Mesa, which is simple to backport with a few extra build-deps since we already have llvm-6.0 in the test repo. We already have Mesa 18.1.7 in the Experimental repo. There's also already one in stretch-backports, and we released the last version of Jessie-based MX 16 with the backported Stretch Mesa 13.0.6, so I think that would also be a worthy update if we get enough positive testing.

sdibaja

#62 Post by sdibaja »

"MX 18" or "MX 19" might make some think "reinstall probably needed".

I prefer simple "point releases" (17.2, 17.3, etc.) ... "Update and continue" is the mindset most of us are accustomed to with Debian.
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

manyroads

#63 Post by manyroads »

I'm certain I must have missed what the next release will contain somewhere in the discussion about the release name(s). If I didn't, would someone point me to where the 'content' of the next release is being discussed? Sorry to be so dense. :bagoverhead:

"I'm never lost... everyone tells me where to go." :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Mauser

#64 Post by Mauser »

Sticking with what the developers have it at would be easier for them. I personally don't care which number it's given. What's the most important thing is what will be new in it and when roughly will the newer version of MX Linux be released?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

manyroads

#65 Post by manyroads »

I agree @Mauser. Is there a place (thread) where the content is being 'fought over'--- I mean discussed. ;)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Stevo
Developer

#66 Post by Stevo »

The development team has a private subforum here where we discuss those matters. So far, some ideas that have been floated include a newer kernel and Mesa for recent hardware, and maybe gimp-2.10.X. We've just added a new llvm-6.0 toolchain backport to main to support a new Mesa if it comes to that.

Mauser

#67 Post by Mauser »

Stevo wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 pm The development team has a private subforum here where we discuss those matters. So far, some ideas that have been floated include a newer kernel and Mesa for recent hardware, and maybe gimp-2.10.X. We've just added a new llvm-6.0 toolchain backport to main to support a new Mesa if it comes to that.
Thanks. Any word on full disk encryption?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#68 Post by Jerry3904 »

Dolphin_Oracle tweeted about that a week ago:
@dolphin_oracle: @MX_Linux started working on adding encryption to the installer. Long way to go but in progress!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Mauser

#69 Post by Mauser »

Jerry3904 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 pm Dolphin_Oracle tweeted about that a week ago:
@dolphin_oracle: @MX_Linux started working on adding encryption to the installer. Long way to go but in progress!
O.K. :cool2:

Return to “General”