share folders

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: share folders

#11 Post by timkb4cq »

I just booted up a LiveUSB MX-17 session, installed thunar-shares-plugin with MXPI, created a folder, moved files into it, then used the right-click menu in Thunar to share it to all users.
Went to the PC in the other room and accessed it just fine. I had checked the box to make the share writable and thought that had failed - but it was a permissions problem, tim & demo aren't the same user :duh:
Setting the folder permissions solved that.

However, trying to limit a share to a specific user with the shares-plugin fails because it won't let you select or add a user. If you try typing, it opens a text input line which you can type in, but it never adds anything to the list of users and demands you allow at least one user access.

I'm assuming napsix65 was trying to share a folder owned by root while using Thunar as a regular user.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

napsix65

#12 Post by napsix65 »

Actually, I'm using emmabuntus, very easy to share folders. And in another PC I'm testing the new Deepin 15.7, and it's also very easy to share folders. These observations I write with the encouragement that something similar can be achieved in MX Linux, only then would I use it again. If in other distro you can do it, I do not see why not do it in MX Linux, there is a very good team. In linux Mint Mate, Mint Cinnamon and LMDE 3 Beta Cinammon, it is also very easy to add folders in 2 or 3 clicks. :)

napsix65

#13 Post by napsix65 »

Dear MX Linux Team, I have found a way to easily share the folders, adding Thunar, in "custom actions". I leave below the link where I found these actions and which are the ones used by Emmabuntus Linux. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2311605
The conditions are, obviously, that this samba is installed and that our user is in the "sambashare" group.
In this way, I take for granted, my concern. I hope it serves you, so that in the very near future, these actions are available in Thunar, in MX Linux. :)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

We'll take a look, thanks!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

napsix65

#15 Post by napsix65 »

I am using MX Linux with Caja as a file manager and the truth is, I am very comfortable. The truth is that Thunar has a lot to improve, not on speed, but on options. If it were not because XFCE is my favorite desktop, I would probably migrate to Mate or Cinnamon, they have more useful file managers than Thunar.

fehlix
Developer

#16 Post by fehlix »

napsix65 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:22 am If it were not because XFCE is my favorite desktop, I would probably migrate to Mate or Cinnamon, they have more useful file managers than Thunar.
Well, XFCE is intentionally designed in a way that you can use additional file manager.
Not sure that I'm reading within that sentence a different perception or even a misunderstanding.
In general if something is not provided by one app, look for an alternative or addional app, which provides the missing funtionality.
I do have on my install most 2 or 3 different file manager running.
:snail:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

napsix65

#17 Post by napsix65 »

fehlix, I'm doing exactly that. I have a Caja installed. Now, I just installed the nemo file manager, from the cinnmamon desktop, and it looks very good, just as easy as Caja, but more modern. The idea is that, you see the possibility of running Thunar-shares-plugin, so you do not have to use other file managers, which are not native to XFCE. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General”