Just an observation...

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Just an observation...

#11 Post by asqwerth »

I'm not comfortable viewing this as a ranking/popularity competition.

Different people like different distros for all sorts of reasons, and then you have the multibooters like me, who like and use a whole range of distros concurrently.

Mepis/MX has always been old reliable for me, since around 2006, but other distros also have their plus points.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Kulmbacher

#12 Post by Kulmbacher »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:39 pm It's probably also true that MX (and Antix) are used by those of us who are already Linux users and have basic experience of it, know how to do basic things ourselves. ...
Not true, don`t forget me and some other noobs here ;-)

But MX is working perfect for me, think I produce the most accidents.
they called him, the fish!

wulf

#13 Post by wulf »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:29 am
Different people like different distros for all sorts of reasons
That's very true. Being new to Linux, I tried-out the top five distro's, (with the exception of Debian as it appeared too "old hat" for my liking), from Distrowatch. MX was a sitting at 13th or 14th place in the listings at the time, but I liked the screenshot, and most importantly, the independent reviews I found on the net made me feel I'd be missing out if I didn't give it a spin. I dunno, I equate it to the same principle as changing a car. You have a rough idea what it is you are looking for, and after test driving a few similar models, there is always the one that feels just right, and that was how MX felt for me compared to the others. I'm in for the long haul and I'm interested to see how MX and Linux in general, develope over the next few years..

entropyfoe

#14 Post by entropyfoe »

The stability was attributed to ...Debian stable, antiX, and the developers...
Yes, certainly.

I think there is also a heritage from Mepis and Warren, he was noted for stability, like MX/antiX, the betas are more reliable than a lot of released versions. People rant his last beta as a daily driver for years, and a few might still!

The current MX 17.1 >100 days stable up-time, if you keep with the stock repos, it is like rock.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

stsoh

#15 Post by stsoh »

entropyfoe wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:47 pm ........ the betas are more reliable than a lot of released versions.......
seriously, i can't believe u say this........ibm error. :alien:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

duane

#16 Post by duane »

Warren's Mepis betas were that good. That was the main point. He was well known for that. So MX betas aim for that same standard.
I often see comments that seem to indicate such and such distro doesn't really become stable until it has had a few point releases.
I agree with entropyfoe's comments. Reliability is one of MX Linux's strongest selling points.
I might be just a little bit prejudiced because I have been using Mepis and its descendants since around 2004.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

cyrilus31

#17 Post by cyrilus31 »

duane wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm Warren's Mepis betas were that good. That was the main point. He was well known for that. So MX betas aim for that same standard.
I often see comments that seem to indicate such and such distro doesn't really become stable until it has had a few point releases.
I agree with entropyfoe's comments. Reliability is one of MX Linux's strongest selling points.
I might be just a little bit prejudiced because I have been using Mepis and its descendants since around 2004.
Interesting point. Somebody can tell us what part of Mepis is still the base of MX?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#18 Post by dolphin_oracle »

cyrilus31 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm
duane wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm Warren's Mepis betas were that good. That was the main point. He was well known for that. So MX betas aim for that same standard.
Interesting point. Somebody can tell us what part of Mepis is still the base of MX?
whatever is left in antiX that anti kept for the live system, plus some of the mx-tools and the installer are direct descendants.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asqwerth
Developer

#19 Post by asqwerth »

This is an interesting video of the very first Mepis in 2003:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwmhlK8ESQI&t=485s

Check out the installer and Mepis tools.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

timkb4cq
Developer

#20 Post by timkb4cq »

There's still a lot of the Mepis installer in the MX installer. The practice of including broadcom & other non-free drivers on the iso so users could actually connect to the internet running Live also started with Mepis.
But it all goes back to the Mepis philosophy: It Just Works. We keep that in mind during development. If testers find something broken or even slightly confusing we work to fix it before we release.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Return to “General”