Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

Jerry3904
Administrator

Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

We want to develop a document that would link off MX Welcome (alongside the new FAQs) that would guide the new user through the 10-12 most common procedures users carry out after installation, and are looking for Community help to come up with a list. We'd appreciate your suggestions, and basing them on your own experience would be even better.

Most (if not all) will fit into the two big categories that we use in the Users Manual:

Configuration = how to get things working (e.g., drivers, kernels, dealing with Windows, etc.)

Customization = how to get it the way I want it (e.g., panel, desktop, icons, etc.)

Thanks for your help!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

LnoyBoy

Re: Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

#2 Post by LnoyBoy »

I've thought in the past that a 'first start up' wallpaper, that had explanations, references to like, the user manual, the wiki, this forum... and some simple definitions, because some of the program names are screwy, like 'cd/dvd burner = xfburn', etc. might be a big help.

HessenZone

#3 Post by HessenZone »

That would be as simple as adding a button on the MX Startup Page, entitled: Linux Terminology

The great thing about having a button like that is also that some other basic non-app references could be included in there. Perhaps something like:
Windows Drives/Partitions c:/ d:/ e:/ are equal to SDA or SDA1, SDB, or SDD within Linux ... something like that anyway.
On the other hand though, if too much gets into that, then it'll become too much like a Wiki or a handbook.

I agree though, I've always felt that the Linux distros with their respective desktops should include a very simple easy to understand "get to know" file with some of the more important terms & references. Here's an example why: I love the MX Linux Manual and the Wiki, but I would not recommend either of them to the people whom I know, because all that would do would be to intimidate them. Yeah, I know it may sound politically incorrect, but sometimes it's also important to be able to talk down to Joe Average in simpler terms. It's an artform ... ;)
Most people are not computer or smartphone savvy - but everybody wants to have one or both.

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

JeffA

#4 Post by JeffA »

Having started with Mint before settling on MX, I've appreciated the "Easy Linux tips project"; such as how to optimize your SSD (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd) or "Speed up your Mint" (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3).

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

I really like the Linux Terminology idea, maybe even have a section in the manual about that and link to it (we do have an "under the hood" section).

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

I really like the Linux Terminology idea, maybe even have a section in the manual about that
You mean like the Users Manual, Section 8: "Glossary"?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

Yeah, but not quite, for example I don't think Glossary explains /dev/sda1 notation or "what is using my memory" type of questions that you see from new Linux users.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

I don't think Glossary explains /dev/sda1 notation
For the record: Alt-F1 > Ctrl-F > "sda" lands on the section explaining drive labeling.

But there's lots of ways to skin a cat...

Richard

#9 Post by Richard »

I have a two column page of notes that I've been maintaining for 8 or 10 years through various distros. Always started a new one for each new distro. There is probably much that is just notes for myself, but mostly how to setup my MX install, apps, mods, general appearance.

I'll send you a copy for your perusal. I could elaborate on the anything you find useful, since it is in a sort of cryptic
notes trying to pack everything on 1 page. I also keep lots of notes on things from the forum, etal, in a CherryTree (A Hierarchical Note Taking Application) depending on how the development of the Quick Start goes.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

tascoast

#10 Post by tascoast »

http://mxlinuxguide.blogspot.com/ covers much of the initial desktop customizations. I've been meaning to revise, with mention of windows buttons (drag and drop/clear or opaque). I should add mention of %R for 24-hour time, option to replace Orage with regular clock if clear background is desired.
Custom Grub background might also be included (System Tools tab), along with an additional Disk Manager reference to auto-mount other partitions/drives etc.
These cover the main things a new user might want to know about desktop and basic functionality.
A mention of increasing Panel/Notification Area icon size and overall desktop fonts would also be helpful.

Edit - perhaps a quick reference to setting Screensaver, noting defaults.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Return to “General”