Mint or MX?

Stevo
Developer

Re: Mint or MX?

#31 Post by Stevo »

djmclaws wrote:Although I tried out MEPIS years ago, I currently have Mint on my wife's, daughter's, and mother's laptops. It's perfect for them. Easy, stable, familiar, easy to maintain, and the Cinnamon DE looks nice.

Just recently (partially out of boredom) I tried out Manjaro and then MX Linux on just my laptop. My laptop has plenty of horsepower for Cinnamon or KDE, but I wanted to try out XFCE, and I read great glowing reviews on MX Linux. It's only been 3 days, and I'm still tweaking it and trying it out, but so far I really like it and am not missing Mint. Unless I run into a major problem, MX is probably going to stay..........unless I get bored again.

Pros:
Debian Base. I wanted to try a non-*buntu.
No PPA's.
Great set of tools and packages (at long last, I was finally able to get Adobe to work on Linux for my state taxes .....for next year).
Package installer/updater: Not as many pictures/reviews as Mint's, but I actually like the no-nonsense simplicity better.
First foray into XFCE.......always fun to try something new. Lots of customizing options.
Laptop is running cooler than before with Mint/Cinnamon
Very responsive and friendly forum
All important/necessary hardware recognized

Cons:
Just a few minor issues that I'm sure will eventually get worked out. Typical with any new distro installation (that's all part of the fun).
- not recognizing my wireless printer yet (can still use USB cable though).
- Doesn't recognize my touchpad on/off function key on the keyboard. I was still able to turn it off, as I rarely use the touchpad.
The touchpad key doesn't work on my Acer either, but I found that touchpad-indicator is a pretty good substitute. I have mine set to disable the touchpad whenever the mouse is attached, too.

djmclaws

#32 Post by djmclaws »

Thanks! Mine's an old Dell Latitude.
I'll give that a try.

djmclaws

#33 Post by djmclaws »

I tried another possibility found here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/844151/ ... pad/844218

Tried it out by creating a bash script "touchpadt.sh":

Code: Select all

cat>touchpadt.sh

#!/bin/bash

read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' )
state=$( xinput list-props "$TPdevice" | grep "Device Enabled" | grep -o "[01]$" )

if [ "$state" -eq '1' ];then
    xinput --disable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Disabled"
else
    xinput --enable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i input-touchpad "Touchpad" "Enabled"
fi
made it executable:

chmod +x touchpadt.sh
copied it over to the /usr/bin/ directory, then went to settings > keyboard > application shortcuts to create a new shortcut key that matches my keyboard for the touchpad (F5 in my case).

Works perfect for me :happy:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#34 Post by Jerry3904 »

Nice job!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”