Browser replacement? (Solved, for now!)

cyrilus31

Re: Browser replacement?

#11 Post by cyrilus31 »

Midori is unmaintained...somewhat dead. Don't count on it anymore.
I was not successful with otter. Slimjet is what I use for my old P4.
Qupzilla seems to evolve well with time.

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

The latest Seamonkey and Pale Moon releases are kept current in the main MX repos, BTW. Don't worry about Debian not having them.

64-bit users also have the option of running the Qupzilla 2.2.6 AppImage from the website download.

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

OK, managed to get qupzilla-appimage 2.2.6 64-bit built with a much less kludgy install procedure, and it works, so I'll upload that to the test repo.
Last edited by Stevo on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

Nice!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

KoO

#15 Post by KoO »

@Stevo
Nice job Thanks for that.I never even got to the right post page and it's already done. That's MX Way Have a Good Easter
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

jbloggs

#16 Post by jbloggs »

WoodLark

#17 Post by WoodLark »

Profile migration from Firefox to Pale Moon is easy! Just copy the whatever.default folder from .mozilla/firefox to .moonchildproductions/pale moon. Rename the existing pale moon .default folder (I just added .bak to the name) then rename the .default folder you copied from Firefox to be the original name of the pale moon .default folder. Works like a charm.

Depending on the extensions you had installed in Firefox, Pale Moon will use some and disable some.

I did try Vivaldi as suggested above. However, Vivaldi seems to have a problem with password storage.

I should also mention that you don't need to do all the file renaming that I did. You can just edit the default.ini file.

Bierhundt

#18 Post by Bierhundt »

I've been using Midori and Qupzilla rather than FF since I started this thread, and I've settled on Qupzilla. It's not much different, use-wise, than FF AFAICS, and yet it's much smaller, and has a built-in ad-blocker - just what I needed! I don't use a lot of FF extensions/apps, so I won't be missing a lot. The post about Midori being dead helped make this decision as well. I never did get around to look at seamonkey (sorry, Anti), but may sometime in the future if I change my mind and decide to have a browser more compatible with FF. When I started looking around, I had no idea there were so may choices for browsers out there, and thanks to all for the recommendations. All help and advice is and was appreciated! Now to go to FF and copy down all of my bookmarks (probably too many!) and then dump FF and Midori.
Thanks!!

eltuno

#19 Post by eltuno »

Qupzilla is great, I feel it's only missing the option to block third-party scripts to get rid of all the nasty tracking from Google and al.

Bierhundt

#20 Post by Bierhundt »

Qupzilla has some issues for me, so I'm trying out Seamonkey for a while. I gotta say that Seamonkey is much faster at rendering the pages than Qupzilla IMHO, Qupzilla often hangs up trying to load, and really rendered my FB page badly. Just my 2 cents worth!

Return to “General”