Browser replacement? (Solved, for now!)

Bierhundt

Re: Browser replacement?

#31 Post by Bierhundt »

i_ri wrote:hello Bierhundt and everyone
for firefox and seamonkey look into "about:memory" address bar location
Show memory reports "Measure"
and in seamonkey I play with clicking Free memory "Minimize memory usage" does it do anything for You?
I'll have to get back to you on that. What is it supposed to do?

Bierhundt

#32 Post by Bierhundt »

Stevo wrote:Please try qupzilla-appimage 2.2.6 from our test repo if you're running 64-bit. It is greatly improved from the old 1.8.9. If you must stick with 32-bit, at least try the 2.1.2 version from our test repo, though I'm inclined to move both of those to main.
Yes, this laptop is 64-bit, but I'll have to see if the test repos are activated. If not, that will be a new thread, so keep an eye out in a couple of days. We have been snowed in since Friday, so we have to see if we can make it into town for some food tomorrow.

Artim

#33 Post by Artim »

WHY in heck to web sites have to design pages with RAM-chewing stuff anyway? Why should people be forced to upgrade otherwise perfectly good hardware just to make web browsing possible?

RAWR!

#MakeTheWebHTMLagain

stsoh

#34 Post by stsoh »

find a suitable ad-blocker addon for your browser. all webs r full of adverts, they r all memories hunger beasts, block them. free memory for your browsing. i'm using firefox, first thing i do is add-on ublocker.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

Stevo
Developer

#35 Post by Stevo »

Bierhundt wrote:
Stevo wrote:Please try qupzilla-appimage 2.2.6 from our test repo if you're running 64-bit. It is greatly improved from the old 1.8.9. If you must stick with 32-bit, at least try the 2.1.2 version from our test repo, though I'm inclined to move both of those to main.
Yes, this laptop is 64-bit, but I'll have to see if the test repos are activated. If not, that will be a new thread, so keep an eye out in a couple of days. We have been snowed in since Friday, so we have to see if we can make it into town for some food tomorrow.
We are moving qupzilla 2.1.2 and qupzilla-appimage 2.2.6 to main, so you won't need the test repo. But the easy way to install something from our test repo is to use the "Full App Catalog" choice in MX Package Installer and choose the test repo. We came up with the easy GUI to make test packages very simple to install for the noobs, though I know you prefer the CLI. In the CLI case, just remove the comment hash mark from in front of the test repo URL.

Buck Fankers

#36 Post by Buck Fankers »

stsoh wrote:find a suitable ad-blocker addon for your browser. all webs r full of adverts, they r all memories hunger beasts, block them.
Another option is [adguard] to just use these two DNS addresses bellow, put them into your router settings, or into every computer:

https://kb.adguard.com/en/dns/setup-guide#router

eltuno

#37 Post by eltuno »

Artim wrote:WHY in heck to web sites have to design pages with RAM-chewing stuff anyway? Why should people be forced to upgrade otherwise perfectly good hardware just to make web browsing possible?

RAWR!

#MakeTheWebHTMLagain
that's because they need to believe in "progress", well only until they will choke from it.

Bierhundt

#38 Post by Bierhundt »

Stevo wrote:
Bierhundt wrote:
We are moving qupzilla 2.1.2 and qupzilla-appimage 2.2.6 to main, so you won't need the test repo. But the easy way to install something from our test repo is to use the "Full App Catalog" choice in MX Package Installer and choose the test repo. We came up with the easy GUI to make test packages very simple to install for the noobs, though I know you prefer the CLI. In the CLI case, just remove the comment hash mark from in front of the test repo URL.
I'll maybe download it for a backup browser, but the way it didn't work well for me before, I will keep using Seamonkey for now! I never did remove it, so I'll have to purge it and start over with the new one. THX

Stevo
Developer

#39 Post by Stevo »

I have qupzilla-appimage conflict with and replace the standard qupzilla, so installing it removes qupzilla automatically.

Artim

#40 Post by Artim »

Seamonkey is the default browser in several "lightweight" distros, and for good reason! It does what both Thunderbird and Firefox do, but quickly and with resurce demands.

Return to “General”