lz4 compression for mx

Richard

Re: lz4 compression for mx

#41 Post by Richard »

@stsoh,
Thanks for the params.

Code: Select all

mksq_opt=-comp lz4 -Xhc
I´ll give these a try. I had the order wrong.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

skidoo

#42 Post by skidoo »

The Liquorix kernels we've been porting have used lz4 since 4.12. I'm not sure what this means in the Debian kernel changelog, but we have it in the 4.14 and 4.15 ports we've also done:

* Enable SQUASHFS_LZ4 in default config.
Although it's enabled in the kernel configuration, debian's mkinitramfs command doesn't support lz4
https://sources.debian.org/src/initramf ... amfs.conf/ # COMPRESS: [ gzip | bzip2 | lzma | lzop | xz ]

The mkinitcpio command (used by some other distros, e.g. Arch Linux) does support creation of an lz4 -packed [initrd|initramfs]
but the benefit is miniscule ~~ shaves 150 milliseconds from the time required to unpack the initramfs.
(This micro-optimization is probably only significant in the realm of cloud computing ~~ creating/destroying container instances a from memory-resident "master" copy)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mk ... OMPRESSION
The kernel supports several formats for compression of the initramfs—gzip, bzip2, lzma, xz (also known as lzma2), lzo, and lz4.
For most use cases, gzip, lzop, and lz4 provide the best balance of compressed image size and decompression speed.
The provided mkinitcpio.conf has the various COMPRESSION options commented out. Uncomment one to choose which compression format you desire.

stsoh

#43 Post by stsoh »

skidoo wrote:.......Although it's enabled in the kernel configuration, debian's mkinitramfs command doesn't support lz4.....
to activate lz4, edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and add these at eol:

lz4
lz4_compress
zbud
open terminal:

sudo modprobe -v lz4
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo reboot
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

Return to “General”