mx linux 17 first-initial impression + few basic questions, first ever boot from usb

richb
Administrator

Re: mx linux 17 first-initial impression + few basic questions, first ever boot from usb

#11 Post by richb »

Given your comments, unwillingness to find answers in documentation, take advice given and negative attitude toward MX you would be better off finding something else. Why continue to use it if you do not like it?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: mx linux 17 first-initial impression + few basic questions, first ever boot from usb

#12 Post by Jerry3904 »

Bye-bye!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

makemxlinuxeasy

#13 Post by makemxlinuxeasy »

richb wrote:better off finding something else. Why continue to use it if you do not like it?
my comment says that im doing that tho

positive comments comes from helpfulness like when the 1 person says how to use linux from usb and positive experiences

negative comments comes from unhelpfulness like from most mx linux users and bad experiences

what do you mean continue to use it, i only used it for a couple of mins

hopefully mx linux makes all these better

helpful

and with positive experiences

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

If you are going please go.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

calinb

#15 Post by calinb »

Maybe a little off-topic, but also on a more positive note:

Has anyone noticed that MX-Linux is currently ranked #2 in distrowatch.com user reviews (which I personally respect more than "journalist style" distro-hopping reviews)? MX is topped only by Slackware in the #1 spot. Slackware is also a SysV init distro and, in my opinion, well pedigreed company to have. The scores are close too--9.61 vs. 9.63. https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ranking

There was definitely another release "bump" in the rankings after MX-17. Congratulations and thanks to all the MX and antiX devs and community supporters who made it happen!

Nonetheless, it's impossible to please all of the people all of the time!

malspa

#16 Post by malspa »

@makemxlinuxeasy - Please keep in mind that other users are not encountering the same problems that you're having, and consider why that would be. Maybe it's because other users take the time to read the documentation. It seems that it's kinda frowned upon these days to say "RTFM" but by reading documentation and doing good web searches I almost never have to ask for help at Linux forums. When people try to refer you to the documentation, they are in fact trying to help you.

Lol, when I was starting out with Linux, I used to tell me myself that many other people use it and they can't all be smarter than I am! :)

Anyway, I actually hope you'll stick with MX, because it's a very good distro. I say that even though MX is not currently one of my installed systems (although I do have it on a flash drive). MX is one of the easiest distros I've used, and I've tried too many of them to list here. I haven't needed to use Windows at home for something like 10 years now. The MX folks really do try to make all of this as easy as possible, but as with anything else, you're gonna get out of it what you put into it. Best wishes.

azrielle

#17 Post by azrielle »

The MX manual is BY FAR the best OS documentation I have ever encountered. If makemxlinuxeasy cannot be bothered to read it, much less learning a BETTER WAY to install common applications (MX-PI vs gdebi), there really is no hope for him.

MX is what MX is--it just works--but if you don't like it, feel free to use something else. And don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#18 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Mod hat on:

Given the fact you are not willing to accommodate yourself to the distro you are using and are expecting the voluntary unpaid developers of said distro to accommodate to you, I suggest finding your luck elsewhere. If other distros work, by all means: use them.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “General”