Review:MX Linux MX-17 Horizon -2nd test, top notch, by Dedoimedo

nanoSYS

Review:MX Linux MX-17 Horizon -2nd test, top notch, by Dedoimedo

#1 Post by nanoSYS »

MX-17 - Second test review by Dedoimedo

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mx-17-lenovo.html
(...) top notch.
Good distros are far and few in between, and MX-17 Horizon is truly a magnificent product. Way to go.

richb
Administrator

Re: Review:MX Linux MX-17 Horizon -2nd test, top notch, by Dedoimedo

#2 Post by richb »

Nice!
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Paul..

#3 Post by Paul.. »

WOW

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

That is nice, and it gives us some stuff to think about as we move forward.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

Great!

Just to mention, that Bluetooth error should not have showed up (AFAIK) if he did an upgrade or used the latest MX mothly snapshot.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

He mentioned Firefox 57, too, so he must not have done the upgrades for which we see the notification in the screen. So he also switched to MousePad before giving the newer Featherpad a try.

Be we all know MX 17 is awesome, so the review is not really a surprise, is it? :number1:

I wonder what gives us better battery life than similar xfce distros. Do we have tlp on the ISO? Yesterday I added powertop and switched almost all the tunables to "good", per a Phoronix article, and I'll see if that helps battery life even more.

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

Do we have tlp on the ISO?
Transient lunar phenomenon? Oh, "TLP is an advanced power management tool for Linux." Yes, it shows as 0.9-3 on the MX-17 release ISO.

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

Yes, a lot of people have reported tlp helps with power consumption with just its default settings--depending on the hardware, of course.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle »

wow, and he even liked featherpad.

Whoops he was talking about mousepad?
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

Wow, good review.

I can understand why he used the original iso again though, since he wanted to compare like with like, ie install the same iso on 2 different computers and see how it worked OOTB.

I was puzzled by the text editor thing though. He was referring to mousepad as if that came with the iso.

With respect to battery consumption, it could be the antiX magic (yay to anticapitalista and his special sauce!) since we know how resource efficient antiX is, ie in cpu and ram usage. Maybe resource efficiency does affect battery consumption to some extent?

Also he might be comparing it to Ubuntu-based xfce distros, for instance Xubuntu, as I think Ubuntu is simply not as efficient or power frugal.

However I'm not sure whether he's compared it against another debian based xfce distribution recently. For all we know results could be similar with SolydX or plain Debian . Any comparison with a Devuan based xfce distro? Could the difference be systemd?

Most crucially IMO, could it be the kernel? Usually newer ones have better power usage.

I can say that I find MX and Manjaro xfce both to have good power consumption on my old and new laptops.

On my new lappy mx16 was installed using a snapshot already running liquorix 4.12. Manjaro (unstable) was running on the latest 4.14 kernel I believe.

Previously when I multi booted lots more on my old lappy, mx14 had much better battery life than the last crunchbang 10 (both wheezy) even though CB used openbox. However the difference was the kernel since CB was on vanilla 3.2 I think, while mx14 had a much newer kernel. Manjaro (stable) at that time had the best battery life on that machine and of course it had the newest kernel of the lot. I believe I installed tlp on all.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “General”