MX-17 Beta 2 Feedback

mmontz

Re: MX-17 Beta 2 Feedback

#241 Post by mmontz »

You have to sign with a VPN provider. In this case it is Private Internet Access. Cost is about $40.00/yr.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#242 Post by Jerry3904 »

danielson wrote:Btw, don't know who to thank for the desktop backgrounds (especially the wavy curtain kind) but they are just superb!
Hope to see more colors of same pattern.
Thanks for the kind words. We actually have a blog post on the topic:

https://mxlinux.org/mx17-artwork-prettifying-our-distro
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

danielson

#243 Post by danielson »

Logitech headset issues again...

No matter how many times select the headset as default via MX-Select Sound or Alsa, the choice is not "sticking".
Have updated system and rebooted twice already (just in case).

@Jerry3904 - thank you for the link! Must write a word of appreciation to antechdesigns!

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#244 Post by dolphin_oracle »

danielson wrote:Logitech headset issues again...

No matter how many times select the headset as default via MX-Select Sound or Alsa, the choice is not "sticking".
Have updated system and rebooted twice already (just in case).

@Jerry3904 - thank you for the link! Must write a word of appreciation to antechdesigns!
do you unplug the headset?

I would set it as the default sound sink in pavucontrol rather than trying to set it via alsa. (which is what set-sound-card will try to do).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

#245 Post by richb »

mmontz wrote:You have to sign with a VPN provider. In this case it is Private Internet Access. Cost is about $40.00/yr.
Thanks. Up and running. Download speed is about 60% of a normal connection, upload about 90%. But very usable.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

danielson

#246 Post by danielson »

@dolphin_oracle,

Logitech is usually always plugged in.
Have removed it a few times to see, still no go.
Usually managed to get volume controls going with the Logitech device itself but no config options in pulseaudio controls are not doing it.

Update: got it! via alsa icon on panel (not alsa mixer).

dr-kart

#247 Post by dr-kart »

I tried to install oracle java 9. http://www.webupd8.org/2015/02/install- ... linux.html
(I did this way with mx 16.1 with no issues)
Now installation went without any warnings. And I do have

Code: Select all

java -version
java version "9.0.1"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 9.0.1+11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 9.0.1+11, mixed mode)
But neither Firefox ESR nor Palemoon locate java plug-in. Which was the case with mx16.1.
Still not sure if this relates to current mx17b2. Did anyone have an experience installing java9 ?

stsoh

#248 Post by stsoh »

hi,
btrfs auto resume lengthen boot time by 27sec, is this necessary? can it be not resume?
i like the fast boot time of mx-linux but fall short when i saw during bootup started to resume btrfs scripts/local-block 27 times.
anyway, i googled n found a solution to stop btrfs resume function.

adding a new line containing "RESUME=none" to the end of /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf.
followed up, open terminal > su > password and run "update-initramfs -u".
See "man initramfs.conf" for details.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

MX-16_fan

#249 Post by MX-16_fan »

I have a very cool super small no-name USB Nano stick here. Tested the MX-17 Beta 2 Live, and it managed to work with it on approx. every second boot (couldn't find any logic in it). Sometimes I had to unplug and replug it, and only after that it was being discovered.

However, when I used a fully installed MX-17 Beta 2, the stick wasn't being discovered at all.

On a different machine, lsusb identifies this WiFi stick as

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter

Doing a full dist-upgrade, taking everything that's in the MX Test Repo, didn't bring any change.

I had sometimes-but-sometimes-not kind of trouble using this stick with MX-16.1 also.

Ethernet isn't always present either.

Greetings, Joe

BitJam
Developer

#250 Post by BitJam »

MX-16_fan wrote:I have a very cool super small no-name USB Nano stick here. Tested the MX-17 Beta 2 Live, and it managed to work with it on approx. every second boot (couldn't find any logic in it). Sometimes I had to unplug and replug it, and only after that it was being discovered.
I've had that problem with SanDisk Ultra-Fit usb 3 sticks. They would always boot if I unplugged and replugged them while it was looking for the linuxfs file. I could not find a way to fix it. I think it is a problem with the hardware and/or the kernel. I've stopped using them as live-usbs. I now use Samsung Flash drive Fit usb-3 sticks. I don't have this problem with them or with any of the other usb sticks I've tried.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Return to “General”