MX-17 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Shay2

Re: MX-17 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

#31 Post by Shay2 »

Started getting more errors, so I re-installed with Time Zone selected and did not save desktop changes.
I see no errors yet, which is nice.

Prefer antix conky. Much prefer it.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#32 Post by Jerry3904 »

Prefer antix conky. Much prefer it.
You can use it on MX, of course. It'd be kind of interesting to see how it worked.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

CaputAlista

#33 Post by CaputAlista »

I am using mx 17beta1 LIVE HD in a specific partition. I do not have access as a common user to the folder / Live that is in the partition with a lot of space. The folder /home /demo / Live-usb-storage / is created automatically and is on the ram and is very small.
Please could you make SOMETHING in the iso so that you had permission to write, Thanks.

Shay2

#34 Post by Shay2 »

You can use it on MX, of course. It'd be kind of interesting to see how it worked
It worked great in prior version.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#35 Post by dolphin_oracle »

CaputAlista wrote:I am using mx 17beta1 LIVE HD in a specific partition. I do not have access as a common user to the folder / Live that is in the partition with a lot of space. The folder /home /demo / Live-usb-storage / is created automatically and is on the ram and is very small.
Please could you make SOMETHING in the iso so that you had permission to write, Thanks.
On a live usb, /home/dem/live-usb-storage accesses the remainder of the space on the device that the iso is created on.

How did you make your hd partiton into a live device?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

CaputAlista

#36 Post by CaputAlista »

title MX
rootnoverify (hd0,7) -----partition in external hd
find --set-root /win81/isos/MX.iso
map /win81/isos/MX.iso (0xff)
map --hook
kernel (hd0,7)/antiX/vmlinuz
initrd (hd0,7)/antiX/initrd.gz
boot

CaputAlista

#37 Post by CaputAlista »

the initrd or vmlinuxz maybe configure the previlges

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#38 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Actually you are booting a readonly file system. Basically a dvd on your disk. I doubt the live-usb storage feature is being enabled this way, which is why it shows up the way it does.

I honestly don't know how to deal with that. A frugal install onto your partition would be closer to what you want i think.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

BitJam
Developer

#39 Post by BitJam »

CaputAlista wrote:I am using mx 17beta1 LIVE HD in a specific partition. I do not have access as a common user to the folder / Live that is in the partition with a lot of space. The folder /home /demo / Live-usb-storage / is created automatically and is on the ram and is very small.
We allow you to boot directly from an iso file but as you are seeing, doing so disables almost all of our special features. The same restrictions would occur if you used "dd" to make a live-usb or if you booted from a live-dvd.

As dolphin_oracle said, you may be able to do a frugal install to that partition which would give you easy access to all of that space. If you have a usb stick handy then you should be able to use live-usb-maker (command line or gui) to clone your current live system to that usb stick and make it a live-usb. You will have all of the special features available on that live-usb. If you want them available on the hard drive then boot the live-usb and do a frugal install (via the F5 Persist menu in the legacy bootloader or via a text menu selection in the live uefi bootloader) to that partition. It should put everything it needs in a single directory on that partition with a name like "antiX-Frugal-4.9.0-4-amd64". It will boot directly into the frugal install when you do it. Better still, it will create a file called "grub.entry" in that directory that you can add to your grub.cfg to boot into the frugal install.

Summary:
  1. Boot into your current MX-17.b1 system, insert a usb stick and run live-usb-maker
  2. Boot from the live-usb you just created and do a frugal install to the HD partition.
  3. Copy the file "grub.entry" file into your grub.cfg
You may even be able to do the frugal install directly when you boot your current MX-17.b1 system but we offer no guarantees that it will work.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Stevo
Developer

#40 Post by Stevo »

Used the live-usb-maker in MX 16 to create a live USB from the x64 beta 1 iso.

My Acer E-15 E5-575G-53VG would not boot from this USB until I switched off UEFI and went to legacy boot, in contrast to MX 16, which had the liveUSB boot with both UEFI and Secure Boot enabled.

Once I got it to boot, I got the black error box on the GRUB wallpaper that Jerry showed. Escaping that, I got to the text screen where I could type "live", and then the boot proceeding normally. I installed to a 10 GB scratch partition. The installer icon scaled correctly here when I increased its size, so maybe that was a false alarm. I did not install GRUB, since I will use the GRUB from the main MX 16 install.

After rebooting to MX 16 and running update-grub, I rebooted MX 17 normally. It's running the modesetting driver for the Skylake 520 Intel video. As in stock MX 16, there is some video tearing when scrolling text in Firefox. The compositor makes no difference with this. If I can't get the tearfree option to work with a 20-intel.conf file using the modesetting driver, I'll try with the xorg intel 915 driver that fixed it in MX 16.

I see we are using the same predictable, yet complex, network interface names that standard Stretch is using.

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a
shows them if you have to let something know what interface to monitor.
I ran the Nvidia driver installer for the Optimus Nvidia graphics. After a reboot, "optirun inxi -G" showed that the Bumblebee switching was working (unlike some people on the Debian forum that had to go to a backports kernel to get it to work...maybe the kernel, maybe PEBKAC)

I also saw that the Nvidia settings program now shows up in the XFCE settings manager, and actually opens up without some obscure flags, unlike MX 16. However, if this creates an xorg.conf file that specifies Nvidia, that'll nuke my GUI, since Optimus uses the Intel GPU for display. I haven't tested that yet, but will do so soon.

Return to “General”