Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

changes to repos: mepis-deb.org is gone

dolphin_oracle
Developer

changes to repos: mepis-deb.org is gone

#1 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Due to circumstances beyond our control, mepis-deb.org no longer points to our repositories. Users who have been using MX linux for a while, especially those who are running or who have upgraded from MX15, may find that they are no longer receiving updates. This is likely because your apt sources are pointed at mepis-deb.org sites.

Luckily the solution is easy...change your sources to the mxlinux.org addresses! This handy command will do that for you.

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/main.mepis-deb.org/mxrepo.com/' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*.list} 2>/dev/null
Just cut and paste and you should be good to go! And check out our wiki as well as mx-repo-manager for the full list of mirrors.

Mirror wiki

Or use mx-repo-manager to pick another repo. With the condition to have a relatively new version of it, if you haven't upgraded in a while you can get the deb from here:
64 deb: https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-repo-man ... _amd64.deb
32 deb: https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-repo-man ... 1_i386.deb

Thanks!
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

Re: changes to repos: mepis-deb.org is gone

#2 Post by Adrian »

Or use mx-repo-manager to pick another repo. With the condition to have a relatively new version of it, if you haven't upgraded in a while you can get the deb from here:

arjaybe

#3 Post by arjaybe »

dolphin_oracle wrote:

sudo sed -i 's/main.mepis-deb.org/mxrepo.com/' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*.list} 2>/dev/null
Just cut and paste and you should be good to go! And check out our wiki as well as mx-repo-manager for the full list of mirrors.

Mirror wiki

Thanks!
My MX-15 install worked with mx-repo-manager, but MX-14 didn't. However, MX-14 worked with the command.
Green Comet
Space particles.

kmathern
Developer

#4 Post by kmathern »

arjaybe wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:

Mirror wiki

Thanks!
My MX-15 install worked with mx-repo-manager, but MX-14 didn't. However, MX-14 worked with the command.
The mx-repo-manager package isn't in the MX-14 repo's (as far as I know), and it's Qt5 dependencies might be a problem with MX-14.

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

The mx-repo-manager package isn't in the MX-14 repo's (as far as I know), and it's Qt5 dependencies might be a problem with MX-14.
Yes, I didn't build it for MX-14. it also won't handle the MX-14 repos correctly -- not even sure if all the mirrors provide repos for MX-14 either.

But while MX-14 is still supported with security updates, it was released more than 3 years ago and we had in the meantime 2 releases and a couple of dot releases, if the computer can run MX-16 I highly recommend to update at some point.

timkb4cq
Developer

#6 Post by timkb4cq »

Adrian wrote: ...not even sure if all the mirrors provide repos for MX-14 either.
Yes, if they sync from iso.mxrepo.com they do, as well as all the Community M12 packages.
Warren's MEPIS 11 & 12 repos, however, are only available at nl.mxrepo.com.

At some point we will need to consider removing those from the mirrors and just have the archives on one server as is already the case with the M7 through M11 Community packages.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

arjaybe

#7 Post by arjaybe »

Adrian wrote:
Yes, I didn't build it for MX-14. it also won't handle the MX-14 repos correctly -- not even sure if all the mirrors provide repos for MX-14 either.

But while MX-14 is still supported with security updates, it was released more than 3 years ago and we had in the meantime 2 releases and a couple of dot releases, if the computer can run MX-16 I highly recommend to update at some point.
I'm using MX-16.1, but have kept my 15 and 14 installs up to date as well. I hope the information that the repos can be updated for 14 will be useful to someone.
Green Comet
Space particles.

MX-16_fan

#8 Post by MX-16_fan »

@dolphin_oracle:
dolphin_oracle wrote:(...)Luckily the solution is easy...change your sources to the mxlinux.org addresses! This handy command will do that for you.

Just cut and paste and you should be good to go!
That doesn't seem to be the solution under all circumstances. I did exactly as advised, and here's what I get from that:

1) In "mx.list" section I have a "deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/ mx15 test" (this is probably just as it should be).
2) In the "mxtestrepotemp.list" I have the same entry. So it now doesn't point to the mepis-deb server any more, but I guess that the whole "mxtestrepotemp.list" is superfluous, plus you probably won't want double entries.

I tested that on a brand new 16.1 system.

How do I tidy up this mess? EDIT: Found it out. Removed the text file named "mxtestrepotemp.list" from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and rebooted. Now the akward "temporary" section is gone. Maybe you'd wish to edit your original posting, adding this step.

Greetings, Joe

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I would but its a different problem. some process, probably the older mx-test-repo-installer, added that repo entry during an install, and then something happened and the file wasn't cleaned up. My answer for the original question about the expired repo address stands, but your answer about what to do about duplicate entries is a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

tuk0z

#10 Post by tuk0z »

dolphin_oracle's post saves my day or rather, the main desktop in our local DIY house wich has MX 16.1 installed last June.
For some reason it's the first time I've found this post. Had been looking for a GPG update post like here. Now look at this massive update; almost seems we're on Arch Linux:

Current status: 158 updates [+123], 42489 new [+847].
Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants vont être installés :     
  libavcodec57{a} libavdevice57{a} libavfilter6{a} libavformat57{a} libavresample3{a} libavutil55{a} 
  libbit-vector-perl{a} libbluray2{a} libcarp-clan-perl{a} libdate-calc-perl{a} libexiv2-14{a} libgeoclue0{a} 
  libllvm3.9{a} libobrender32v5{a} libobt2v5{ab} libopenjp2-7{a} libopenmpt0{a} libpostproc54{a} libsndio6.1{a} 
  libswresample2{a} libswscale4{a} libutempter0{a} libvte-2.91-0{a} libvte-2.91-common{a} 
  libwebkitgtk-3.0-common{a} libx265-79{a} libzlcore0.99{a} libzltext0.99{a} libzlui-gtk{ab} 
  linux-headers-4.12.0-14.1-liquorix-686 linux-image-4.12.0-14.1-liquorix-686 mx-system{a} p7zip{a} 
  python-bluez{a} xxd{a} 
Les paquets suivants seront ENLEVÉS : 
  libavcodec-ffmpeg56{u} libavdevice-ffmpeg56{u} libavfilter-ffmpeg5{u} libavformat-ffmpeg56{u} 
  libavresample-ffmpeg2{u} libavutil-ffmpeg54{u} libguess1{u} libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0{u} libllvm3.8{u} 
  libmowgli-2-0{u} libpostproc-ffmpeg53{u} libswresample-ffmpeg1{u} libswscale-ffmpeg3{u} libvte-common{u} 
  libvte9{u} libwebkitgtk-1.0-0{u} libx265-59{u} libzlcore0.12{u} libzltext0.12{u} 
Les paquets suivants seront mis à jour : 
  avahi-daemon bash-completion broadcom-sta-dkms cabextract cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common 
  cups-core-drivers cups-daemon cups-ppdc cups-server-common dnsmasq-base dpkg dpkg-dev extlinux fbreader flac 
  geeqie geeqie-common ghostscript ghostscript-x gimp gimp-data gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 
  gir1.2-webkit-3.0 gmtp gscan2pdf hplip hplip-data libappindicator3-1 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data 
  libavahi-common3 libavahi-core7 libavahi-glib1 libcups2 libcupscgi1 libcupsimage2 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1 
  libdpkg-perl libdrm-amdgpu1 libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libegl1-mesa libflac8 libgbm1 
  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libgimp2.0 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libgphoto2-6 
  libgphoto2-port12 libgpod4 libgs9 libgs9-common libhpmud0 libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 
  libjpeg62-turbo libperl5.20 libsane-hpaio libsmbclient libthunarx-2-0 libva-drm1 libva-wayland1 libva-x11-1 
  libva1 libwayland-egl1-mesa libwbclient0 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 libxatracker2 libzlcore-data 
  libzltext-data libzlui-qt4{b} linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86 linux-headers-3.16.0-4-586 
  linux-headers-3.16.0-4-686-pae linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common linux-headers-liquorix-686 linux-image-3.16.0-4-586 
  linux-image-3.16.0-4-686-pae linux-image-liquorix-686 linux-libc-dev mpv mx-apps mx-installer 
  mx-packageinstaller-pkglist mx-snapshot mx-tools ndiswrapper ndiswrapper-dkms ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 netselect 
  netselect-apt nvidia-detect openbox p7zip-full palemoon papirus-gtk-icon-theme perl perl-base perl-modules 
  printer-driver-hpcups printer-driver-hpijs printer-driver-postscript-hp python-requests python-samba 
  python-urllib3 qpdfview qpdfview-djvu-plugin qpdfview-ps-plugin qpdfview-translations ranger rxvt-unicode-lite 
  samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs scribus scribus-data shotwell shotwell-common 
  smbclient smplayer syncthing syslinux syslinux-common syslinux-utils tar thunar thunar-data tint2 tmux 
  unetbootin usbmuxd vim vim-common vim-runtime vim-tiny xfburn xfce4-terminal xfdesktop4 xfdesktop4-data 
  xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-radeon youtube-dl 
Les paquets suivants sont RECOMMANDÉS mais ne seront pas installés :
  attr exiftran exiv2 hyphen-af hyphen-bg hyphen-ca hyphen-cs hyphen-da hyphen-de hyphen-el hyphen-en-gb hyphen-es 
  hyphen-fr hyphen-gl hyphen-hu hyphen-is hyphen-it hyphen-lt hyphen-nl hyphen-no hyphen-pl hyphen-pt-br 
  hyphen-pt-pt hyphen-ro hyphen-ru hyphen-sh hyphen-sk hyphen-sl hyphen-sr hyphen-sv hyphen-uk hyphen-zu 
  i965-va-driver icc-profiles-free irqbalance libaacs0 libalgorithm-merge-perl libarchive-extract-perl libc6-i686 
  libcgi-pm-perl libdate-calc-xs-perl libfglrx-amdxvba1 libfile-fcntllock-perl libgphoto2-l10n libgpod-common 
  libgtk2-ex-podviewer-perl libmodule-build-perl libmodule-pluggable-perl libnss-mdns libpackage-constants-perl 
  libpod-latex-perl libterm-ui-perl libtext-soundex-perl libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 libtxc-dxtn0 mesa-va-drivers myspell-et 
  myspell-lv openoffice.org-hyphenation-lt python-ndg-httpsclient python-openssl python-pyasn1 rename rtmpdump 
  samba-vfs-modules sane smplayer-skins smplayer-themes ufraw-batch unetbootin-translations va-driver-all 
  vdpau-va-driver w3m-img xvba-va-driver zenity 
156 paquets mis à jour, 35 nouvellement installés, 19 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.
Il est nécessaire de télécharger 334 Mo d'archives. Après dépaquetage, 85,3 Mo seront libérés.
Openbox applications menu generation will work thereafter hopefully ;)

Return to “General”