Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

MX-16.1 now available

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX-16.1 now available

#31 Postby dolphin_oracle » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:36 pm

cristai wrote:
All current MX16 users will receive the upgraded packages available from MX16.1 isos. So if you are happy with your current installation, there is no need to install the new iso. Here are some notes of what to expect during your the upgrade process.

1. Do a regular apt-get dist-upgrade (apt-notifier, synaptic, or apt-get dist-upgrade). You will be asked about accepting the lightdm configuration. Answering Yes should get you the mx16.1 lightdm theme. Answering No (or default) should keep the exisitng theme, with the alternate written into another file in the /etc/lightdm folder in case you want it later.

I answered BY MISTAKE "No" but I want to get 16.1 version! What can I do now?

ps: I am a newbie in linux... and in english language, scuse me!

In the event you answer NO, the mx16.1 configuration is still brought to your system, its just renamed. You can find both configurations under /etc/lightdm.

In the event of a "NO" answer during upgrade, the mx16.1 configuration file should be named /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.dpkg-dist.

In the event of a "YES" answer, the old mx16 configuration should have been renamed lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.dpkg-old

What you need to do to use the config you want is to rename the existing lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf to something else, then rename the config you want (in this case, /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.dpkg-dist.) to lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf. A root-thunar is handy if you are adverse the terminal.

the new settings file will take effect pretty much immediately the next time you get to a log in screen.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

cyrilus31
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#32 Postby cyrilus31 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:21 am

I'm sorry I did not see this before but a french reviewer had problem with localisation and I found why : the default miror is not the good one when you select French as main language in MX 16.1. The deprecated french one is selected so the user has to set up a new one through Repo manager.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#33 Postby Jerry3904 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:24 am

Oh, that's good to know!
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

skidavem
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#34 Postby skidavem » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:05 am

Both Firefox and Chromium won't start even from a terminal. Get a statement that they now require sse2. My reason for installing MX-16.1 is to "resurect" an Athlon XP 3200+ desktop system. The statement includes "You may be able to obtain a version that does not require sse2 from your Linux distribution." How can I obtain such versions?
Thanks

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#35 Postby chrispop99 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:19 am

skidavem wrote:Both Firefox and Chromium won't start even from a terminal. Get a statement that they now require sse2. My reason for installing MX-16.1 is to "resurect" an Athlon XP 3200+ desktop system. The statement includes "You may be able to obtain a version that does not require sse2 from your Linux distribution." How can I obtain such versions?
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.

You should probably start a new post in a more appropriate place; MODS: please move if felt necessary.

Machines with Athlon processors have not been able to run modern web browsers (and some other software) for some time. Using an out-dated browser might work, but some websites won't allow you to view; out of date browsers are a security risk. If you still want to try that, have a look here:

http://www.oldversion.com/linux/

You could install QupZilla from the Package Installer as that runs on older processors.

Please report on how you feel MX Linux performs on your machine. If it is not usable, you could always try antiX

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

Return to “General”