Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.

News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17.1 Final release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

MX-16.1 now available

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-16.1 now available

#11 Postby whell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Congrats to the development team!!

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Postby kmathern » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
qwertyblahblah wrote:Didn't even realise it was the new release when I took the update of forty something packages this morning.

I just removed MX Flash Manager and the Flash packages it brought in, and added Flash from the Package Installer. All good in my main browser Pale Moon, but Flash videos do not work in Chromium. I shouldn't still need pepperflashplugin-nonfree?

checking in to this...it worked fine the other day.

adobe-flashplugin installs both libflashplayer.so and libpepflashplayer.so, so pepperflash is installed/available.

Code: Select all

$ ls -l /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/lib*flash*.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16464096 Apr 27 00:43 /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18740512 Apr 27 01:34 /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so

Also during the installation of adobe-flashplugin it installs a 'mozilla-flashplugin' Debian alternative to create a symlink from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ to libflashplayer.so in the /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/ folder, but it doesn't install a Debian alternative/symlink for pepperflash (libpepflashplayer.so), that might be something we might want to add.

qwertyblahblah
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#13 Postby qwertyblahblah » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:27 pm

kmathern wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:
qwertyblahblah wrote:Didn't even realise it was the new release when I took the update of forty something packages this morning.

I just removed MX Flash Manager and the Flash packages it brought in, and added Flash from the Package Installer. All good in my main browser Pale Moon, but Flash videos do not work in Chromium. I shouldn't still need pepperflashplugin-nonfree?

checking in to this...it worked fine the other day.

adobe-flashplugin installs both libflashplayer.so and libpepflashplayer.so, so pepperflash is installed/available.

$ ls -l /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/lib*flash*.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16464096 Apr 27 00:43 /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18740512 Apr 27 01:34 /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so

Also during the installation of adobe-flashplugin it installs a 'mozilla-flashplugin' Debian alternative to create a symlink from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ to libflashplayer.so in the /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/ folder, but it doesn't install a Debian alternative/symlink for pepperflash (libpepflashplayer.so), that might be something we might want to add.

I have libpepflashplayer.so installed in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin, however chrome://flash in Chromium says Flash plugin not installed.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Postby dolphin_oracle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:16 pm

there is definitely something wrong with the way the pepperflash plugin is setup by our package (or possibly in the way chromium is setup by debian...). In the short term, you can use this command to start chromium with flash enabled.

chromium --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so

fun tip: you can issue that command directly from the whisker menu search bar...just paste it in. No need for a terminal. (Alt+F2 is good too)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

qwertyblahblah
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#15 Postby qwertyblahblah » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:25 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:there is definitely something wrong with the way the pepperflash plugin is setup by our package (or possibly in the way chromium is setup by debian...). In the short term, you can use this command to start chromium with flash enabled.

fun tip: you can issue that command directly from the whisker menu search bar...just paste it in. No need for a terminal. (Alt+F2 is good too)

Thanks for the workaround :)

fu-sen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Postby fu-sen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:05 am

:bongodrums:
Congratulations!

I shot an installation movie in Japanese and released it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2fo_YsIEY

During that operation I encountered a problem with MX package installer which failed to install LibreOffice language packages.
It is probably temporary due to the difference in version.

qwertyblahblah
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#17 Postby qwertyblahblah » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 am

By the way, what does the flag I've seen on so many Youtube MX reviews mean? I don't have it on my system. A locale switcher?

fu-sen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#18 Postby fu-sen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:33 am

Is it the Japan flag on the panel? This is a keyboard switcher (fbxkb):

It is not displayed in English. It is because the standard keyboard is English only.

In Japanese(日本語), Japanese (日本語) JIS keyboard and English(英語) keyboard are standard.
Therefore it is displayed for keyboard switching.

However, since input methods such as Fcitx are used for actual input, this will be hidden later.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Postby dolphin_oracle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:44 am

qwertyblahblah wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:there is definitely something wrong with the way the pepperflash plugin is setup by our package (or possibly in the way chromium is setup by debian...). In the short term, you can use this command to start chromium with flash enabled.

Thanks for the workaround :)

OK, found the problem with the flash package. Like most things, its bone simple in retrospect.

The file that governs the pepperflash usage, /etc/chromium-browser/10-flash should be in /etc/chromium.d/

That't it. I just copied the file over and good to go. we will get the package updated!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

lorenzoclean
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#20 Postby lorenzoclean » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi,
I have just installed MX 16 2 weeks ago. Using Mx linux has been a very good experience. I have a very old computer, and everything works great, Core2 duo e6600, and 2GB ram. No problems. However, flash has given me a lot of problems, I was just about to drop using MX. I didn't want to do it, as I love the project, how easy everything is, and how you approach things.
I have been using Slimjet for 3 years or more (Elementary luna), and I never had any problems with flash, but I had flash problem with slimjet and flash, and also with Firefox in Mx. I installed and removed flash, I was going in circles. Then I installed Chrome 2 days ago from here: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/ and I installed with gdebi directly. Since then, everything flash played well, fast and smooth. I am very happy again. Thank you as well for finding a solution to the problem. You don't stop until you find a solution. Thank you. Everybody will benefit from this immediately.
Thank you Dolphin for all the videos, and all the help, not only with MX 16 but with Antix.

Return to “General”