MX-Workbench Community Respin

Adrian
Developer

Re: MX-Workbench Community Respin

#11 Post by Adrian »

There's CLI hexedit, if anybody knows a nice GUI please let me know and I can add it.

It's relatively easy to do a 64bit release, it's just a bit annoying to do it. Initially had in mind to do only a 64bit release but then people mentioned that they still have some hardware that cannot do 64bit. This is also not really meant for installation although there's nothing wrong with installing it (except I mentioned before, users in sudo group will be able to use sudo without a password -- which can be easily changed by removing the /etc/sudoers.d/workbench-sudoers file).

bwich12

#12 Post by bwich12 »

@Adrian: Oh, I thought hexedit only does files, but I've just checked and indeed, it does support devices! So thanks. I actually installed a small app called wxHexEditor (yep, GUI) to be able to edit /dev/sd*. Problem with that is that it's not completely stable, as I had a few crashes... and a crash while editing a partition table doesn't inspire trust.

As to a 64-bit version, now I am all set to go with MX-16 anyway. Perhaps for MX-17? The /etc/sudoers.d thing is not a big deal as I have to change stuff there anyway.

kmathern
Developer

#13 Post by kmathern »

Adrian wrote:There's CLI hexedit, if anybody knows a nice GUI please let me know and I can add it...
Here's some including wxHexEditor that bwich12 mentioned: http://unixlab.blogspot.com/2009/08/fiv ... buntu.html

I haven't used wxHexEditor but have used Okteta back with some of the KDE4 MEPIS releases.

Adrian
Developer

#14 Post by Adrian »

Thanks, I think I will install ghex, Okteta brings a lot of KDE libraries...

Adrian
Developer

#15 Post by Adrian »

Uploaded 64bit version of MX Workbench available in community respins http://mxrepo.com/snapshots/Community_Respins/

watsoccurring

#16 Post by watsoccurring »

Thank you very much for both Adrian

bwich12

#17 Post by bwich12 »

@Adrian: Thanks for the 64-bit version, appreciated. ghex as hex editor is probably a good addition (certainly better than wxHexEditor) but it can't be used to edit sectors on block devices. CLI hexedit can:-)

SwampRabbit

#18 Post by SwampRabbit »

Adrian, I've been wanting to say thanks for your respin, it really is a feat in its own right, and has come in very useful a few times as its a quick download and no fuss to have the tools right there and ready.

A useful addition may be some firmware updating software, for things a lot of people need for flashing common hardware.
For example, I needed to load MegaRAID MegaCLI and the newer StorCLI to flash some raid controllers.
I needed StorCLI version 1.21.06, as the new version seems to have dropped support for older controllers and just is for the latest and greatest.

The software is at the link below and is MR 6.14 version 1.21.06 for "All OS". I installed the storcli_1.21.06_all.deb and didn't have issues flashing four controllers with it. The Linux folder in the archive tricks you, its really just an .rpm file.
https://www.broadcom.com/support/downlo ... +Tools&dk=
I sadly actually read the download license, it doesn't seem to restrict including it, but I'm no lawyer and I may have dozed off as I scrolled through that section.

A few others worth looking at that I often find myself using are:
iperf, dmraid, fio, Bonnie++, stressapptest
Ignore this if they are already in there, don't have the USB right in front of me.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

bled

Re: MX-Workbench Community Respin-LZ4-UNDER 500MB

#19 Post by bled »

regards
------------------------
can we suggest to create fundamental iso file,
under 500 mb , without libre offices...
everybody of us with synaptic can install
all softwares according our wishes..
----------------------------
after that, where is LZ4 COMPRESSION!!!

bled